Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Wheel bearings 1954 Deluxe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Is there a procedure/manual on setting bearings after packing them? Or do you just snug up and lock the nut on end of shaft? Thought there would be a certain torque placed on bearing.
Thanks,
Ducky

Posted on: 2020/5/19 17:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Wheel bearings 1954 Deluxe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, there are many published procedures, by Packard and others, there is probably one in the 1954 shop manual, have you checked your shop manual? There is one in 1955 or 1956 manual or Service Counselor but note it was published with a significant error, later corrected.

You really don't want any preload or torque on tapered roller wheel bearings, old time mechanics adjusted by 'feel' and mine always instructed me to have just a tiny hint of free play, enough that you could just barely feel but not see, and that's still how I do it. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Packard's final procedure was to tighten snugly (20 lb-ft) to insure everything was seated, and then back off. Then tighten to 4 lb-ft and back off (loosen) one hex and then to the next cotter pin hole.

Posted on: 2020/5/19 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's important to make sure that the seats have been pressed fully into position and not rely on tightening the nut to do so. As for tightening, I typically tighten it until the drum takes some force to turn, then back it off until free. There are a variety of other ways of doing it too.

Posted on: 2020/5/19 17:58
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Thanks. I had looked thru manuals but did not find anything specific, will keep looking. I appreciate your processes and will proceed in same fashion but keep looking for anything Packard published. I did not find a service bulletin on this but will continue my search.
Ducky

Posted on: 2020/5/20 8:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The procedure I referenced was in an issue of the Service Counselor, not in a Technical Service Bulletin. See the last entry on the page below, bottom of right column.

Attach file:

jpg  (281.69 KB)
177_5ec54cae45c7e.jpg 1306X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/5/20 8:55
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Appreciate it. I started on removal of rear hub and could not pull. Started to adjust star wheel to figure out which way to loosen shoes and it is locked up now. Star wheel does not seems to only turn one direction. It does not appear there is a locking tab to prevent it from independently moving in loosen direction. From the drawings I have found it appears the lower spring acts as resistance to keep start wheel positioned. I am working the rear passenger wheel, star wheel at bottom, able to rotate it down not up. Down appears to be tightening the brakes. Is there something I am missing to get start wheel to move in other direction?

Posted on: 2020/5/21 7:31
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Now I am really in trouble, went back at it, trying to rotate the star wheel and cannot get it to turn in either direction. Wheel totally locked up, only thing I haven't tried is getting car down off stands and seeing if I can roll car to free brake. The brakes were working fine prior to trying to remove hub to repack bearings. Arg...

Posted on: 2020/5/21 9:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
One pushes the handle of the tool down to loosen the adjustment, therefore the star wheel is turning upward if you could see it through the slot. A proper brake adjusting "spoon" gives you better leverage to move reluctant star wheels in comparison with a screwdriver.

Posted on: 2020/5/21 11:48
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Zyduck
See User information
Thanks for the help, finally got it to move the right direction with the Brake Spoon and quite a bit of force. Was able to get a screw driver along side to hold spring off star. Hub is now off, brakes look like new, I assume a light grease on shaft to keep hub from freezing/rusting to axle?
Ducky

Posted on: 2020/5/21 15:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, no grease on the taper!

Posted on: 2020/5/21 15:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved