Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

my mechanic wrecked my 54 Clipper I need some parts
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jonathan
See User information
Im new to the forum so I apologize if I am going about this all wrong. I have a 54 Packard Clipper that I got from my grandfather before he passed away I recently put what I consider lots of money into the car to get it back running and looking like new. I was having issues with a rear brake sticking and took it to my mechanic for him to look at. Ill condense the story he wrecked it.... the front fenders, grill and all the trim have been damaged. He actually hit a parked Jeep with a big bumper in his lot. The first thing he said to me was "you should file this on your insurance cause you can make money" that should have been a red flag. Well I didnt go that route because I knew that wasnt right and it wasnt my fault. So lets fast forward 8 months to today. I have had the fenders "fixed" at a body shop and I am now trying to source some other parts. I am looking for a complete grill with the amber lights and a headlight bezel, and trim ring. I need the chrome fender pieces also. Does anyone have a resource that can help me find these parts?
The mechanic wouldnt pay or help me so as of 5-19 I made a claim in small claims court here in my county. No news on to that the outcome will be, I had no other options.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 9:35
1954 LS1 Powered Clipper Panama
 Top  Print 

Re: my mechanic wrecked my 54 Clipper I need some parts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I am sure he is no longer your mechanic. It sounds like that will be a bigger claim than Small Claims. At least it would be in Florida. I hope you win your suit. I insure with Haggerty, I believe they have staff on hand to help with getting parts to fix your car.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 10:06
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...You might want to call Kanter Auto Parts 800-526-1096 as well as Max Merritt 317-736-6233 as well as Tucson Packard 520-730-2246. If they don't have all that you need...they can point you in the right direction...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/5/25 10:15
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Unless there's some skeletons on your closet, why wouldn't this be a valid claim to your insurance carrier? The insurance company could then likely go after the mechanic for the deductible or at least what they paid you. Do you have antique insurance on it?

Posted on: 2020/5/25 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
I agree, I definitely would have involved my insurance carrier. In fact, you probably should have filed a police report since another car was involved. Unless you have "Srg Slaughter" insurance or something.. any legit company would have advised on a path forward, most likely paid and then went after the mechanic themselves. Been eight months but I'd get them involved and state you weren't sure of the process or something. A mechanic jockeying your car around a lot is a legit claim.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 16:34
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DeadPhish,
to PackardInfo, although it's a pity under these circumstances. See you have a response in this thread to the parts you need.

And, I invite you to include your '54 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 18:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jonathan
See User information
I was not driving the car on the road at the time, it was still currently being rebuilt and everytime I transported it somewhere it was being towed by my truck which covered the car in case of any issue. Im new to this type of excitement as I dont have as much life experience as most on this forum. but I am eager to learn. the mechanic was originally a guy my family new and I thought he would have done the right thing. turns out I was wrong. I am greatly appreciative of the responses on this forum and for the past 2 days I have been reading alot. I am kind of scared to talk more about the car as you guys are probably more of a purist for this car (along with my father) and I was wanting to build something that suited me more so I the car other than the outside and interior is not original. If I post pictures and show you what I have done you have to promise not be mad or tell me how much I messed it up. I honestly love this car and talking to people about it, not to mention I am fascinated by the history of the brand.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Hey, Dead, There's a modification Forum where you can start a blog on how you are improving your Packard, unabashedly, with no retaliation from purists. It's a place when you can reveal what ideas you have and get help in implementing them. You can see from the topics listed that most of the changes are about safety or performance improvements. Many members are interested in following your progress.

Don't be shy. I think plenty of members would promise not to cringe, but to cheer you on.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We should able to help you with the parts that you are trying to locate. We have used, good used and NOS in many cases. You can either pm a detailed list of what are in need of or you can call and speak with Charod (extension 332) in our Packard Department and he will help you.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2020/5/26 11:05
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jonathan
See User information
I tried with you guys,(Kanter) I talked to Robert over 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting on him to call me back, i even called him about a week ago and still no returned call.

Posted on: 2020/5/26 11:08
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved