Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 119

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 47 super clipper overdrive freewheel mode
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The entire cable may need to be removed and have some penetrating oil applied in such a way it can run into the cable using the spaces between the wire wraps of the outer housing to get inside and lube the inner wire. Both housing and wire are steel and after all the years rust is a frequent problem.

A particular place that may be responsible for the limited knob out motion and no lockout is down at the OD unit. There is a steel tube attached to the housing end clamped to the bracket. A steel shaft is attached to the inner wire and slides inside the tube. Rust can be a problem there as well as damage to the tube, road tar or some other debris that gets thrown up on the shaft and tube to bind or stick any action in the tube. When the wire tries to pull the clevis and lever into the lockout position it will not have full range.

Also in that part or if the entire cable is dry or rusty and hard to move a very frequent occurrence is when pushing the knob to go into OD the end of the cable housing breaks free of the pot metal casting holding the knob and its shaft. When that happens, as Ross mentioned, the knob does nothing except maybe operate the lockout switch at the end of the bracket. You might examine yours and if the connection looks to be weakened get ahead of a future problem by using a split collar on the bracket end to reinforce the crimped on connection to the cable housing. Split collars are easy to install over the cable leaving everything intact.

Here are photos showing the possible problem area for full travel and another with the repair or an inexpensive split collar insurance for the housing breaking free problem. One collar is usually enough but this bracket had more damage and I also wanted a flush look for the assy. I partially machined out a second collar to fit up close to the wide portion of the bracket to take up the space.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.90 KB)
209_5ecebd33b9ae9.jpg 1558X686 px

jpeg  (63.37 KB)
209_5ecec71038128.jpeg 1280X266 px

jpeg  (81.71 KB)
209_5ecec71a4782c.jpeg 1237X709 px

Posted on: 2020/5/27 14:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 super clipper overdrive freewheel mode
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Hello Howard thank you very much to your very detailed reply. I guess this help me to get everything done. have a nice weekende, best regards Josef

Posted on: 2020/5/29 7:51
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved