Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stone Guard Mesh Supplier
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Does anyone know who supplies the highly decorative stone guard mesh used in early 30's Packard stone guards? With originals as scarce as hens' teeth and repros costing $1600, I'm in the mood to try to build one myself.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 6:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Stone Guard Mesh Supplier
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Posted on: 2020/5/31 7:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
http://www.wovenwire.com/products-woven-wire-cloth-mesh.htm

U.K. - www.wiremesh.co.uk

U.S.A. - www.wovenwire.com

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,752.74 KB; Hits: 251

Posted on: 2020/5/31 7:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks - I have a 31.

Yes, I saw many a supplier of decorative meshes, but haven't seen the Packard style. It looks like a square and diagonal design all woven together. Anyone know what that style is called?

Posted on: 2020/5/31 7:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
I've heard of it refereed to as a basket weave.

Caning for chair seats have a similar pattern, with a few extra rows.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.16 KB)
1584_5ed3a892f1332.jpg 421X293 px

jpg  (117.03 KB)
1584_5ed3a89b2a10a.jpg 560X447 px

Posted on: 2020/5/31 7:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Plain weave with diagonals, based on metal cloth weave patterns?

This supplier has a weave that looks close.

http://www.sthmetalmesh.com/uploadfile/s1/sthwiremesh01/product/silver-wire-mesh/Superior-silver-mesh-weave-wire-mesh-1390272968-0.jpg

Attach file:

jpg  (51.31 KB)
1584_5ed3aa7b90cb6.jpg 600X408 px

jpg  (122.65 KB)
1584_5ed3ab2384f60.jpg 599X578 px

Posted on: 2020/5/31 8:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

32model901 wrote:
I've heard of it refereed to as a basket weave.

Caning for chair seats have a similar pattern, with a few extra rows.

The original stone guards more closely resembled caning weave (with cross-hatch-on-cross-hatch structure), not basket weave at all.

Supplier and inventor of radiator stone guards for Packards during 1920s-1930s was bicycle fitments company, Persons-Majestic. They also made SOME crystal radiator ornaments that most people today THINK are Lalique (many are not "Lalique). Persons-Majestic also invented and made at least one illumination system for the crystal radiator ornaments.

Somewhere buried in my records is original Persons-Majestic literature.

I don't know if other companies supplied these items as Packard accessories, but Persons-Majestic certainly did.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Here's a before closeup picture of the mesh on my '32 901 and an after repaired & replated. I can't speak for it heritage over it's 90 years, but it came with the car when I bought it. The previous owner had it since the mid 1950's and did not appear to be some who would have dumped money into. To replace the screen wouldn't be a difficult task. Would need to ensure that the frame is good and clean before soldering in the new screen.

The screen on my stone guard was a basket case with many cracks in the mesh material with some sections missing short sections (`2 to 3") of material. I decided to try and fix the bad areas by silver soldering. Wasn't difficult, but a little time consuming taking about 10 to 12 hours making an estimated 50 or so repairs.

Before staring on the repair I had the chrome plating stripped from the frame giving a nice clean surface for silver soldering to. I used a propane torch with a fairly narrow flame tip to minimize the area where I was heating. On occasion, there would be a crack that did not want to "take the solder. These areas were scraped to provide a nice new area of metal to solder to. On those sections where the mesh was missing, I cut narrow strips of brass from sheeting that was about the correct thickness to replace the material.

There were several areas where the screen was coming loose from the frame. Those were repaired with lead based solder and acid flux. The area was gently heated to prevent heat from warping the frame

Almost all of the repairs are unnoticeable. Those that are require close examination and then you need to be very close.

Attach file:

jpg  (202.29 KB)
1063_5ed65f6ed87d4.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (278.78 KB)
1063_5ed65f8bf0faa.jpg 1036X1382 px

Posted on: 2020/6/2 9:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved