Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

kevinpackard, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8 Formal Sedan- interior removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am rewiring the back half of my 1940 and was wondering if someone has an understanding of how I remove the read side panels on each side of the car. I have already removed the rear seat and unbolted and removed the back of the rear seat.

Thanks for your input.

Gar

Posted on: 2020/5/31 18:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Super 8 Formal Sedan- interior removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My '40 convert sedan is probably different, but for what it's worth, there are 2 pieces. The upper flat piece slides up into a horizontal groove and once in position, two screws hold it in place (there may be some hidden). This must come out first.

The lower section with the arm rests is held by screws through the tabs in the black arm rest photo. There may be some thin sheet metal tongues that interface with the body wheel well.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.53 KB)
1067_5ed4622573664.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (159.61 KB)
1067_5ed462416c309.jpg 1434X1342 px

Posted on: 2020/5/31 21:04
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 Super 8 Formal Sedan- interior removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks for the info.

I decided to risk damaging part of the interior and removed a section of a side panel that is mostly hidden. I was amazed that I found all of the side panels, fabric beads and headliner are all stapled in place with 1/2"x1/2" modern staples into a black heavy cardboard.

I have two questions:
Does anyone know where I can get more of the material that was used to tack/staple the liners to this black cardboard? I assume it might have been a tar impregnated card/fiber board.

Does a new headliner cost a lot of money? It took me 3 hours to remove about 3 feet of door/headliner with the current staples every 1/4" apart. Staples are installed separately for each layer of material. If a new headliner is a couple hundred dollars, it will be gone in 10 minutes.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2020/6/8 19:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved