Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 54

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'39 rear door crank window removal - HELP (please)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Guys,

Going through my never ending list of 'to-do's' and one item was to R&R the driver's side rear crank window as it has a horizontal crack along the base. It's not very noticeable but needs to be done, and I got to removing it today. I am right up to the 'pulling it out' stage, but cannot figure how it can be extricated. There are 'fuzzy guides' on either side of the window that are riveted to the window frame. Do they have to be popped off and re-riveted, or is there a trick to it that I am not 'getting'??? Any help very much appreciated as I want to get them to the window guy in town as soon as I can. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 15:37
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 rear door crank window removal - HELP (please)
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Packard published a Body Manual for the 120 in 1936 which may still apply to your 1939.
Here is what it says for rear door window glass removal:
To remove rear door window glass, lower glass to full open position. Remove 2 screws in the top of window glass channels which are imbedded in the fabric. remove the channels by pulling the channels inward at the top and cranking the window upward. When the glass is about one half up, pull out the channels. Raise the glass upward until the regulator arm is well above the door reveal. Slide the window glass in the lifter channel until the roller is in line with the entrance hole, then remove the glass.

Reverse the operations to reassemble.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Brian,

Thanks for taking the time, man - much appreciated. The conclusion I came to was that the channels were going to have to come out, it's just that on my car the channels are riveted to the door frame and I was hoping there was a way of removing the glass without having to pop the rivets out. I guess I can use some small screws to put them back in, and then it would be fairly straightforward should it ever have to be disassembled again. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is the inner fuzzy come off with the inside trim piece??

Posted on: 2020/6/11 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have said publicly here, on more than one occasion, that this site and the folks that make it up are an invaluable resource, and that I am very grateful for all the help I get as I 'learn and burn' on my car, being a very basic mechanic and a rank newbie to the old car hobby.
Today was another case-in-point, thanks to Brian, as I had looked at the window for some time and could not figure it out. After reading his 'tutorial post', I went back and looked at the channels and sure enough, there WERE screws holding the tracks in place. They were so old and gummed up with dirt, that they LOOKED like rivets. I dug out the Phillips crosses with a razor knife and grabbed a very small star screwdriver and had the window in my hand in 5 minutes!! I KNOW you all know that feeling when you've been fighting with something and a solution comes to hand and, badda-bing - problem solved. Might seem to many like a silly little problem, but it is a big deal to me to find a fix!! Thank you Mr. DeBoeck and thank you Packard Info. Chris

Posted on: 2020/6/11 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Hi Chris,

Are you sure that the channels are riveted to the door frame and not to a metal backing channel ?

Edit;
I see that you have answered the question and resolved the problem.
Congratulations !

Posted on: 2020/6/11 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Chris,
I've had that experience several times of being ready to tear my hair out, if I had any, and then someone here giving me a suggested solution in a kindly manner.

And not like what I'd tell my kids when when they came to me for advice (What are you, stupid? The answer is so obvious. If you pierce your ears, I'm going to pierce my ears, for a perfect father-son combo.You want that?), but in a much more patient way to help me think it through as their mother would, which is why they stopped coming to me and went to their mother for advice. ("Well, if I were in your shoes, I could do this and there might be these consequence; or I could do that, with those consequences. So it's something to think about. But FYI, your dad said if you got your ears pierced, he would do it, too. and he already asked to borrow the those huge, gaudy earrings that Aunt Irene left me." She never told them exactly what to do, but they usually made a choice that worked.

Are you sure those window screws started out as Phillips? Just checking.
Joe

Posted on: 2020/6/12 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JoeSantana wrote:
...Are you sure those window screws started out as Phillips? Just checking.
Joe

Joe, I recall seeing somewhere that the "Phillips" cross type screw head was introduced in 1937. Before that all the screw heads were of the slot type. If so, Chris's Six should have Phillips type screws for most of the interior trim parts. Maybe someone else hare knows more about this.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 11:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
#4 Phillips head screws are listed for the door window channel in the 1935-41 parts list.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Shut me up, you guys. Now I remember, looking at them every day around the window moulding. All Phillips. Despite glaring evidence on sunny days, I always had it in my head that Phillips heads didn't come on the scene until the '40s or '50s. So many times with a Phillips screw driver in my hand I uncovered a flat head screw. Darn. I stand corrected. Take the advice from my kids. Don't listen to me, Chris.

What's worse, you guys, is that the Phillips screw was invented right here in Portland, Oregon by Henry F. Phillips. Gad.

What's even worser is that his pretty daughter was a friend who taught me the Texas 2-step at a barn dance in the '70s.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 13:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved