Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Paint Metal Flakes
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
I am getting my 36 120 painted and it had metal in the paint from a previous restoration. I was going have next paint job without the metal but researching it, it seem the original color had metal flakes in the DuPont formula

When did they start putting metal in the paint?

Is it appropriate to have metal flakes in the paint for a 1936 120?
Thanks
W James

Posted on: 2020/6/11 7:18
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint Metal Flakes
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
For 1936 120B there were Five colors that used metallic.
Duco 202-31473 Gunmetal Light Metallic Color Scheme A
202-31474 Almond Green Metallic " " J
202-31475 Golden Tan Metallic " " P
202-31476 Trianon Green Metallic " " Q
202-31482 Tuscan Red Metallic " " Z

Hope this helps you out.
I think Metallics were used in the 20,s as well. Most Packard colors were very conservative or subdued ,not flashy unless special ordered . The scheme letters referred to the pin stripe color and wheel color.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 10:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I have read or seen discussions on forums is the material used for the metal flakes. As I recall the consensus is metal flakes were of a different size and material in the Packard days and todays flakes give quite a different look.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The problem with modern paints is that the metal flakes are WAY WAY too large for what is correct. Knowledgeable restorers are sifting their paints. The correct flakes should be a mere fine powder, and should be BARELY discernible in the paint when looking at it.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 10:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thanks guys for the input, but here is the dilemma
I have to choose a paint for my car
the car is 1936 120B conv/coupe, it was a copy of Tuscan red and it will remain red because the wheels, fire wall, door jams are red, in good shape.
Trying to figure out whether to put flakes in the paint or not. I don't mind a little flashy but I don't want what looks like a Hot Rod. Car has white pinstriping

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance
W

Posted on: 2020/6/11 12:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just my opinion. Unless you are able to use a ball or pebble mill or an attritor to reduce the size of the metal flake component before incorporating it into the paint formulation (or source an extremely fine particle size metallic component), I'd go with a nonmetallic paint.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 15:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I don't recommend using a ball mill to reduce the aluminum flake size. Aluminum flake doesn't snap, it folds and wads up. Without the plate shape, it doesn't flash,but it grays out the color.

Siberline is the major producer of metallic flake for paint and coloring - get a small size flake if you want to go metallic.

Posted on: 2020/6/11 16:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a friend in Austin who painted his 30 Packard with the correct metallic blue. They got the metallic powder from the Phillipines where it is used in women's makeup. That stuff is so light it will almost float out of the jar. Contact Mike at Crossroads Restorations for more info.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 11:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
you can normally buy it with a choice between a couple of "wetting agents" to tame the dusty/static problem. But choose a wetting agent compatible with the paint in this case! Also, I'd avoid grades with coating on the aluminum for the same reason.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 13:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Find the Ditzler and/or Dupont paint chips in the Packard Literature section for 1936. Get the formula for Tuscan Red. Contact PPG industrial/automotive paints and ask them to translate the formula to modern materials. They will send the formula to your paint shop, not to you. Have the shop shoot a fender for approval. PPG bought Ditzler, so they know how to translate the formula. They know the correct amount and size of reflective material. My 1940 color has a combination of small and medium flake.

You can make a product inquiry here.https://corporate.ppg.com/Contact.aspx

Tell them the contact info for your paint shop.

Posted on: 2020/6/12 15:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved