Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Former Packard Plant Owner Dies
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
This is a sad story.

Dominic Cristini, former owner of the PMCC Plant on EGB has died from cancer at the age of 61. Attached is an article from the Detroit News. Dominic fought the City of Detroit and won in court, but then lost it all.

This all began in the mid-1990s. Dominic was buying the PMCC building from the title holder/seller in what is known as a "land contract" - a form of seller financing. Seller holds title to the property while the buyer makes mortgage payments to them. Dominic's payment to the seller is principal, interest and real estate taxes. The seller is supposed to forward the tax money to the City and keep the title clear of tax liens. But that did not happen - instead the seller pocketed the money and tax liens piled up unbeknownst to Dominic.

Meanwhile, Dominic has over 90 tenants in the building producing a gross (before expenses/taxes) revenue of about $1.0 million annually. He spends some of the rent proceeds to repair the buildings, create more rental space and thus more rental income. At this point in time, the lobby and executive areas are nearly untouched - looking much as a time capsule from the 1950s.

But downtown, the tax liens are sent to the Legal Department for enforcement and foreclosure. This is where the City screwed up - they never did a simple title search before starting foreclosure. This would have revealed that Dominic had an ownership interest and been given a chance to clear up the tax problem, but that never happened. Instead, the City (illegally) sent in the Gang Squad to physically remove all the tenants. You may know Don Sommer of American Arrow - he was one of the tenants ordered out by the police. Worse yet was the City began demolition on parts of the building until that was stopped by court order. But the damage was done. The building was open the vandals, scrappers, and the elements.

Dominic fought this in court and won every time. The City would appeal and lose. Dominic would win monetary arbitration awards and the City would refuse to pay, appeal, and lose. The City demanded their taxes be paid and Dominic would counter with, "... you threw out my tenants, you damaged my buildings, you took away my livelihood - take the taxes from the arbitration award you owe me!" And the City would stall - to wait him out while his legal bills climbed.

Then Dominic screwed up big time. Don't for a second think I condone what he did. Dominic started to deal drugs. He was caught and spent 4 years in prison. Now he had zero chance of paying the taxes, the legal bills and regaining his property. His girlfriend committed suicide. In the end, the City won out.

Don't believe it? This was all shown in a documentary titled "Packard - The Last Shift" produced by Brian Kaufman, a photo-journalist with the Detroit Free Press newspaper.https://www.freep.com/story/news/documentaries/2019/04/02/packard-last-shift-free-press-documentary/3343452002/

Link to the article:https://www.detroitnews.com/story/obituaries/2020/06/11/former-packard-plant-owner-who-fought-city-property-dead-61/5342399002/

Attach file:

jpg  (125.07 KB)
436_5ee4fb6d16686.jpg 563X794 px

Posted on: 2020/6/13 10:31
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Re: Former Packard Plant Owner Dies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I like the quote at the bottom of your messages regarding what your wife will do with your "toys" when you die.

Reminds me of a great Rodney Dangerfield one-liner: "My wife took out a $10,000 home-improvement loan and gave me the money to move out."

as always
Garrett

Posted on: 2020/6/13 11:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Great article.

Too bad the City of Detroit was never made to perform on their restitution.

Posted on: 2020/6/13 11:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

RogerDetroit wrote:
This is a sad story.

Dominic Cristini, former owner of the PMCC Plant on EGB has died from cancer at the age of 61. Attached is an article from the Detroit News. Dominic fought the City of Detroit and won in court, but then lost it all.

This all began in the mid-1990s. Dominic was buying the PMCC building from the title holder/seller in what is known as a "land contract" - a form of seller financing. Seller holds title to the property while the buyer makes mortgage payments to them. Dominic's payment to the seller is principal, interest and real estate taxes. The seller is supposed to forward the tax money to the City and keep the title clear of tax liens. But that did not happen - instead the seller pocketed the money and tax liens piled up unbeknownst to Dominic.

Meanwhile, Dominic has over 90 tenants in the building producing a gross (before expenses/taxes) revenue of about $1.0 million annually. He spends some of the rent proceeds to repair the buildings, create more rental space and thus more rental income. At this point in time, the lobby and executive areas are nearly untouched - looking much as a time capsule from the 1950s.

But downtown, the tax liens are sent to the Legal Department for enforcement and foreclosure. This where the City screwed up - they never did a simple title search before starting foreclosure. This would have revealed that Dominic had an ownership interest and been given a chance to clear up the tax problem, but that never happened. Instead, the City (illegally) sent in the Gang Squad to physically remove all the tenants. You may know Don Sommer of American Arrow - he was one of the tenants ordered out by the police. Worse yet was the City began demolition on parts of the building until that was stopped by court order. But the damage was done. The building was open the vandals, scrappers, and the elements.

Dominic fought this in court and won every time. The City would appeal and lose. Dominic would win monetary arbitration awards and the City would refuse to pay, appeal, and lose. The City demanded their taxes be paid and Dominic would counter with, "... you threw out my tenants, you damaged my buildings, you took away my livelihood - take the taxes from the arbitration award you owe me!" And the City would stall - to wait him out while his legal bills climbed.

Then Dominic screwed up big time. Don't for a second think I condone what he did. Dominic started to deal drugs. He was caught and spent 4 years in prison. Now he had zero chance of paying the taxes, the legal bills and regaining his property. His girlfriend committed suicide. In the end, the City won out.

Don't believe it? This was all shown in a documentary titled "Packard - The Last Shift" produced by Brian Kaufman, a photo-journalist with the Detroit Free Press newspaper.https://www.freep.com/story/news/documentaries/2019/04/02/packard-last-shift-free-press-documentary/3343452002/

Link to the article:https://www.detroitnews.com/story/obituaries/2020/06/11/former-packard-plant-owner-who-fought-city-property-dead-61/5342399002/

Hello to Roger, Packard Fans and Old Detroiters,

Thanks for posting this information and the links.

As someone who grew up in Detroit and who always loved Packard AND who passed by that plant on a regular basis, my heart continues to be broken. As I have said in the past, my dad had commercial property on Mt. Elliott near EGB and we passed by the plant all the time. Including back when they were still making cars there.

I never met Dominic Christini and I'm not excusing what he did, BUT he got a raw deal regardless. His story is sad, on top of sad, on top of heartbreaking. And yes, when things got desperate, he apparently went to same route as former Packard man, John De Lorean and tried keeping his business alive via the sale of illegal drugs.

I guess there is plenty of blame to go around. But... SHAME on the City of Detroit. SHAME! No matter who wants to blame who, in the end it was the wildly greedy and inept persons running the city who allowed this horrible tragedy to take place. The city fathers fiddled while Rome burned. In fact created the conditions and may as well have tossed the match.

The damage at the plant... the lost tenants ...with loss of the tax base...the wholesale vandalism in the end were all the result of the City of Detroit government shooting itself in the foot.

The one thing never mentioned here is the company that was known as Packard Properties, Inc. They were the ones who originally took over the plant after Packard left and compartmentalized sections and rented them to tenants. I recall that one of these tenants was even the U.S. federal government. The buildings were once buzzing with dozens and dozens of small AND large businesses and various enterprises. Even a department store.

I'm attaching a photo of the Packard Company Street (in the middle ot the factory grounds) that I took from the roof of the plant on East Grand Blvd. in the 1970s. The many bridges are all intact... and the cars you see parked down below are there because of operating businesses IN the plant.

So? What happened? Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the dreamy dream of the plant restorations.. with the shopping mall and apartments and gymnasium and all those other things that were supposed to happen by now in the latest chapter of the East Grand Boulevard Packard Plant story.

Attach file:

jpg  (183.62 KB)
1249_5ee5022d9c0e4.jpg 1199X1798 px

Posted on: 2020/6/13 11:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Gar wrote:
Great article.

Too bad the City of Detroit was never made to perform on their restitution.

If asked, they would tell you they reduced is tax bill. But that mayor is now sitting in prison serving a 28 year sentence for running a criminal enterprise. And no one is asking him.

Posted on: 2020/6/13 13:10
-

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
[quote]

Hello to Roger, Packard Fans and Old Detroiters,

Thanks for posting this information and the links.

...<snip>...

So? What happened? Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the dreamy dream of the plant restorations.. with the shopping mall and apartments and gymnasium and all those other things that were supposed to happen by now in the latest chapter of the East Grand Boulevard Packard Plant story.

Hello Leeedy, Good to hear from you.

So what has happened at the plant? You mean besides the bridge over EGB left to rot and falling in the middle of EGB? Next to nothing. Most of the clean up and debris removal is being done by day-labors with shovels, brooms and wheelbarrows, not mechanised equipment. Meanwhile, the City continues to tear down out-buildings on Packard parcels not sold to Fernando Palazuelo during the tax sale.

Leeedy to you and all other Packard lovers I extend a warm welcome to visit the Packard Proving Grounds about 22 miles north of the Plant. We have been shut down since March 12th and would enjoy your company. Besides, we need the income to pay some bills.

Posted on: 2020/6/13 13:27
-

Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved