Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Ground Strap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Can anyone tell me how and where the engine ground straps are positioned on an early 30's Packard?

Posted on: 2020/6/14 15:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Ground Strap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
On my 1934, right rear of the transmission case to the frame crossmember. I believe this is original but can't be 100% certain. In any case it's effective.

Posted on: 2020/6/14 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
On the Seventh Series (1930 model year) with the battery box recessed into the right front fender the battery was grounded to the nearby chassis frame rail. By the Tenth Series (1933 model year) the battery was located under the driver's seat. On my Tenth Series Eight it is grounded to the left chassis frame rail, just slightly different from O_D's description above.

Posted on: 2020/6/14 20:43
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry Don, I guess I was unclear. My battery is in the same location as the 10th series and the battery ground cable is likewise the same. I was referring to a separate woven ground strap between the driveline and frame which I thought, perhaps incorrectly, was the op's originating question.

I never thought to check the Parts List to see if it was original equipment or added later.

Posted on: 2020/6/14 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You have to be more specific. Starting with the V-12 in 32 and the eights in 33 there was a braided strap as shown in the factory photo below. This was required given the rubber mounting.

Prior to 1933 the eights did not have an engine ground strap given the motor was bolted to the frame. On the 443 and earlier cars I don't recall what they were using given the motors had a hybrid type of rubber mount. I don't think they had one either because the mount used a through bolt.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.38 KB)
373_5ee7d026499a0.jpg 882X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/6/15 14:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good photo, Tim. That's exactly how my '34 1100 is configured.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks all -- Owen was correct; I was interested in the ground strap between the engine and the frame, not the battery cable.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Indeed O_D is correct. I totally misread the question and therefore answered incorrectly.

Posted on: 2020/6/15 19:49
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved