Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Gosford Motor Museum Closure - Packards for Auction
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
Tim,there is just too much money out there, which is a good thing, i know alot here just try out do there neighbor,none
of it makes much sense ,but good for the economy
i quit trying even figure it out, lol
regards, Joe

Posted on: 2020/6/21 0:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
Brian, find out what no,s should be on the plate ,if its not
right buy a new one from that guy in Texas,he makes them ,i have bought them for a 40 packard ,
Enjoy ur car looks nice in the picture
regards,joe

Posted on: 2020/6/21 0:25
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Valentine
See User information
Dear all,

Thanks so much for this information. That has been really useful.

This is a beautiful car, but unfortunately I can see that it is not mine. With those photos I can see some differences. It has a different front badge (the Gosford/mine has the donut chaser with glass wings) and the steering wheel on the Gosford/mine is later version ('deluxe steer wheel'). Also, the Gosford Packard doesn't have a radio.

There must be import papers that have the VIN plate written down somewhere to authenticate the numbers '1235-2107'.

I have contacted the 1708 V12 roster keeper on the forum website to see if they have any further info.

Thanks again all for your help with this.

Seems like SA now has x2 Packard 1708 V12's, both very very similar.

Anyone have a contact for a chap on Kangaroo Island with a large blue Packard?

Thanks again

Rowan

Posted on: 2020/6/21 6:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I remember those days when you could buy those V-12 limos cheap. People didn't want them.

As for the comment that excess money floating around is good for the economy, if there is no value added there is no economic gain. Where does money come from? I have some qualifications to address that matter. Bank assets are in the form of loans collateralized by hard assets. In the old days National Banks would issue their own currencies backed by such collateralized loans. These were called National Bank Notes. If they issued loans backed by junk assets like WorldCom stock their notes would quickly fall in value and depositors would run on the bank and shut it down. This restrained the Federal government's ability to spend because they had to rely on foreigners and the private sector to purchase government bonds. They also didn't like the instability of periodic panics where banks would have to pay for being sloppy. Who wants to see crooked bankers going to jail? Without a new source of funding the USA also could not get involved in stupid overseas affairs like World War I, so they created their own bank called the Federal Reserve which is a printing press. Now the government would sell bonds to the Federal Reserve which would then issue Federal Reserve Notes collateralized by US Government debt. Lately the Fed has started proping up the bond market by issuing notes to buy bonds that are falling in value in response to free market forces. What? Since when is price manipulation of financial assets good for the economy? If the crooks on Wall Street got caught doing that they would go to jail. If the price of old cars starts falling will the Fed start buying those as well to bail out the rich spending money on antiques that don't create jobs? The fact of the matter is that US monetary policy is Marxist. And that is hurting the poor the same way it did in the USSR, Cuba, Yugoslavia, Romania, East Germany, and so on.

Sorry for all the hot air, but I have been watching this situation my entire life.

Posted on: 2020/6/21 9:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hi Rowan

You can contact the Department of Infrastructure in Canberra and ask if they issued an Import Approval for the car. If they locate it, they will send you a copy.

Bear in mind that it's quite possible - perhaps likely -that the car was registered with the TPN number. This was often done because the plate (if it was there) was not permanently attached. Ditto for the import approval.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/21 18:36
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Tim

No need to apologise. It's all true. Including the irrational behaviour in the "collector" car market. How many people over about 35 years of age can drive a car with manual transmission (stick shift)?

What has happened now is that someone asked "what's wrong with running a massive national budget deficit?". So the US government keeps on printing money and buying commercial bonds of doubtful value. Somewhere along the line, the quality of US sovereign debt will be questioned and the US$ will lose its appeal. But probably not in the tenure of many current politicians.

If you think this is crazy, take a look at the sharemarket. Strange times, indeed.

Lucky we don't have a job to lose.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/21 18:52
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Valentine
See User information
thanks heaps Brian, funny you should say that, I did email them last night and they responded! Sooo excited that they did respond.

They asked me for a photo of the chassis number but I believe Packard didn't have chassis numbers?? is that correct?

What is the VPN? is that vehicle production number ie....1235-2107?

Thanks again

Cheers

Rowan

Posted on: 2020/6/22 6:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hi Rowan

Yes, the VPN number is the number on the plate for Packards. The plate is a repro but looks quite old and may have been on the car when it arrived here. If not, they probably used the TPN (Theft Proof Number - stamped on the firewall). The latter was often used as a chassis number in the US and also here. Unfortunately, the two are not related.

Maybe send the pics of both numbers and plead ignorance! Hopefully, they will check for both.

When the car was shipped to Australia, the shipper would have had to produce proof of ownership. That would usually be a US Title or Bill of Sale in the seller's (owner's) name showing the vehicle ID. But it was a long time ago so probably not traceable now.

It doesn't really matter which number shows on the Import Approval. Either will be acceptable for registration on club plates here.

Good luck with the search!

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/6/22 21:15
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved