Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 1948 NYC lwb taxi project
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
running change on dash trim sounds plausible - my car with chrome is a 1949 model year 22nd.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 9:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Were the taxi switch knobs painted too or is that one of the trim items you are missing and have substituted chrome for now? If that way originally, it seems a kind of in your face statement that to me looks out of place in the otherwise mundane dash. As to the brown, that is a rather nondescript color which it pains me to say almost makes the pinkish color in the bottom end Clippers look good. As Ross said, what were they thinking. At least someone must have realized bland is bad so they had the good sense to bring in Dorothy Draper when they did.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the switches were plated as was the glove box handle. They obviously were groping for any sort of trim stratification given the cars were so generic. It probably cost more to paint the parts, but those things happen. However, for a taxi who would even care? I know some of them had painted grilles, but I wouldn't be surprised if they threw whatever they had at the dashboard.

At Chrysler the low line tire pressure monitoring system cost more than the deluxe system. And they were proud of it. They thought having all those systems for government mandated crap was something to be proud of.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
TIM, that is a good point. From what I have observed on the taxis that I have I believe that Packard was trying to use up any existing inventory that was on hand. The 46/47 taxis used 15 inch wheels and the 48 lwb taxi also used the 15 inch wheel. I also have a 49 taxi from the Chicago area and it uses 16 inch wheels. It would make more since to me to have used the larger wheel on the heavier taxi. I wish there was more information available on the taxis, but so far I have found very little.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 18:39
Packardtaximan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Howard, The window switch and the door ajar warning light did not show any signs of brown paint on the two I have. The center dash grille was painted over chrome and I am not sure if the switch buttons were chrome or painted. the end caps for the switch push controls on the instrument bezel and the glove box door were never chrome but just painted. I purchased two new window switches and they were both chrome. I never realized how nice the stock dashes looked until I put the taxi dash together. UGH, UGLY

Posted on: 2020/6/21 19:38
Packardtaximan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 NYC lwb taxi project (driveshaft support)
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Don, I hope these pictures help.

Attach file:

zip Size: 0.00 KB; Hits: 44

jpg  (228.45 KB)
971_5ef2867f9daeb.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (163.42 KB)
971_5ef286bb38c4f.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (208.21 KB)
971_5ef2871c859fe.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/6/23 17:44
Packardtaximan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hmm, this picture indicates the same layout as the base Eight. I see chrome pushbuttons and chrome glove box handle. I also see uneven brake and clutch pedals. But who knows what all they were doing. There are lots of documented variations in those taxi models. That is one area where the photographic records hold up.

Of course this is a prototype. Perhaps even a clay model. Note the lack of a rear door.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.29 KB)
373_5ef2a2d835104.jpg 750X593 px

Posted on: 2020/6/23 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have seen people driving around with COVID-19 shields in their cars, not unlike the one pictured. Strange and difficult times...

Posted on: 2020/6/24 10:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I thought the same thing when I saw it!

Posted on: 2020/6/24 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wasn't the shield separating the driver from the passengers something required in New York? Not sure the actual purpose as I doubt they worried much about virus pandemics in those days. Probably would not do much to stop a bullet but maybe it would slow down a less determined robber.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 11:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved