Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing cage from Blower motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi,
I need to rewire the motor as the current wiring has lost its insulation. The motor works. Any suggestions for how to remove the cage? I've put PB-blaster in the hole where the set screw goes as well as at the other end, pulled and(gently) pried. But it wont budge. I'm concerned about bending the cage or the shaft but the thing wont move.

Any idea as to how hard I can yank on it or other suggestions to remove (to expose wiring) without damage? thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (281.78 KB)
120663_5ef2cf25cf9af.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/23 22:57
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Re: Removing cage from Blower motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I had the same issue on an AC blower which is slightly larger than the heater assy and there is no good place for a gear puller or anything prying behind the wheel without risking damage.

For the AC wheel I was able to add something for a gear puller to grab by using an inexpensive shaft collar with an ID that was for a shaft just slightly larger than the hub. Drilled and threaded two holes in the collar for a pair of set screws.

Clamped the collar on the hub with the clamp screw and some shim stock then used the added setscrews for the real grab with one of the added setscrews going into the original setscrew hole and the other solidly against the hub. Then used a small gear puller to pull the wheel off.

As I recall the shaft was recessed in the hub a little bit so I had to use a short bolt to drop down in the hub and touch the end of the shaft so the puller had something to push against.

Posted on: 2020/6/23 23:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
try tapping down on cage collar to brake it loose. It should come off, once it loosens up.
Happy

Posted on: 2020/6/24 6:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

happy wrote:
try tapping down on cage collar to brake it loose. It should come off, once it loosens up.
Happy

Might work and certainly worth a try. What I found with my AC wheel when I finally got it off is the setscrew had been tightened so much it chewed into the motor shaft and distorted and raised a burr or maybe even flattened it so the fit in the hub bore was almost like a press fit.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 8:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
You guys are awesome. After reading the comments about tapping it and the shaft going through the hub, I went out and looked closer. There was enough crud at the top that I didnt notice the shaft was protruding through a little. I cleaned it up, sprayed a little PB Blaster, then with a fairly gentle tap with a hammer of the slightly protruding shaft it popped right off!

Thanks again. I added a couple photos to aid the next person that thinks they have a problem when they really need to clean up the part first to see what they got....

Looking at the inside, i'll just try to make a low profile splice to the 'good' part of the inside wire instead of messing with where the wires attach to coils.

-Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (275.39 KB)
120663_5ef3f9ddc327a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (240.93 KB)
120663_5ef3fa020abfe.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (313.14 KB)
120663_5ef4137381fb9.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/24 20:13
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved