Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

pmhowe, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front motor mount
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed B
See User information
I'm doing some cleanup on my 288 s8, and have a couple of questions...

First, about that front motor mount. Seems with an engine that heavy there would be a hefty motor mount or side mounts. Is that mount really up to the task? I know, it's been there for 70 years, let it go Ed.

When I was painting the engine I noticed the 'bull' or 'stub' or the part that the mount bolts to on the front of the engine. The part that is moulded into that plate on the front of the engine... that piece is failing, breaking. Are those available anywhere? And what is that piece called?

Posted on: 2020/6/23 18:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Front motor mount
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The rubber parts are in two pieces and available from Steele. They are not too bad to change compared to some items. It is a bit more difficult working in the space between the fan and radiator though. Packard called the rubber pieces insulators. The single front mount is a U shaped piece with a retainer plate bolted over it and into the piece connected to the engine. The rubber pieces are sandwiched between the mount and retainer to surround the mount stub and isolate the engine from the actual mount bracket. The transmission has two side mounts to provide stability so the engine/trans assy has a 3 point mount. Senior 356 engines also have an additional snubber on either side of the engine at the front to control any slight side to side or rocking motion but those were only used on that particular engine. Steele offers a revulcanizing service for the snubbers.

The rubber insulators are slightly different depending on the year and engine so either look in the parts book for the actual part number for your car or check Steele's Matching Vehicles list for the two sets he has listed. The insulators are listed under Group 5.1603https://www.steelerubber.com/search?c=/engine-mounts&year=1948&make=packard

Posted on: 2020/6/23 19:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed B
See User information
I appreciate the explanation. The piece I am having trouble with is the piece you described as the 'mount stub', on the front of the engine.

I'm going to try to attach a pic... wish me luck

That knob or stub is actually pressed into the divider plate that bolts to the front of the engine. Unless I can repair that damage, I need to replace that plate.

Any ideas on a repair or replacement piece?

As for the picture, it is at the bottom but does not show in a preview... hope you can see it.

Just noticed, the pic is upside down. You can see the metal is breaking away at the side of the bolt hole.

Thanks,
Ed

Attach file:

jpeg  (43.22 KB)
4822_5ef2c5b3e7016.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/6/23 22:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's not clear what is breaking by the photo and I've never seen one broken although I suppose it's possible. I have a few but not sure exactly which engine you have to know if they are the same or not.

The parts listing here on this site shows two different part numbers for the 1948-1950 models.

Attach file:

jpeg  (46.61 KB)
60923_5ef3058a5409a.jpeg 1290X739 px

Posted on: 2020/6/24 2:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That appears to be where a flake of heavy rust was at some time in the past.

Are the threads still good? If they are then just install the new motor mount rubbers and enjoy the rest of your life.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 6:33
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed B
See User information
Wow! You fellows are terrific. Really quick and helpful. One gives me specific part numbers and one says run it! I like that.
Actually, I may need to cleanup the threads and go for it. As a beginner, I don't want to let something slide when it should be repaired properly.
Thanks for the input, everyone.
Ed

Posted on: 2020/6/24 9:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
You could weld the bad area then file smooth. I would do that just for peace of mind.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 11:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved