Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

31 Generator Polarization
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Good news -- I got my 31 started yesterday. After cleaning the carb and lubricating the air vanes and metering dish, it fired up!

Had great oil pressure, but one issue was the ammeter was reading a slight discharge as it was running. I think the issue is polarization of the generator. However I did notice the negative battery cable wasn't on too tight which might have something to do with it. Nontheless, how do I go about polarizing the generator? What I'm working with is an Owen Dyneto relay mounted on top of the generator, which has two leads -- one going to the ammeter/battery, and the other going to a sizeable fuse underneath. Is the volt regulator located in the same box?

Posted on: 2020/6/24 13:46
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 Generator Polarization
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your car predates generator or so-called voltage regulators. Unless your generator has been modified, the "box" is just a simple cut out to open the circuit and prevent the battery from discharging back thru the generator when the engine is shut off. You have what's called a third brush generator, output is increased or decreased by adjusting the position of the third brush which is done via an adjusting screw on the rear of the unit.

Your properly connected as positive ground?

Have you checked the fuse? They are available from NAPA.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 14:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Yes, the system is 6 volt and is positive grounded, and no I have not checked the fuse. You're referring to the fuse in the relay?

Posted on: 2020/6/24 15:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the fuse in the cut out.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 15:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Okay, just checked the fuse and it tested good. I pulled the rear cover off the generator -- is the adjusting screw attached to a small gear? The Service manual indicates that the rate of charge is 10 to 12 amps at 18 to 20 mph; but I did see your past post where you limit it to 5 amp for daytime driving, and a little more if your out at night and using other electrics.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Take off the cutout cover and disconnect the wire to the generator. Using an ohm meter connected between the armature lug and ground, manually close the points. If nothing changes on the meter you have an open circuit.

Could be a dirty commutator, brushes, open fields, a loose wire etc.. I fixed a V-12 once by gluing a loose brush wire back into the brush. I got a kick out of the stupid advertisement verbiage as it kicked around the old car auction circus. Then somewhere along the way it got all screwed up. I haven't seen it since.

There's a starting point.

Posted on: 2020/6/24 16:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved