Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor wire
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I need to replace a frayed wire in my distributor. it runs from the incoming block to the points ( about 2-3 inches long- Delco

Posted on: 2020/6/26 21:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Distributor wire
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The conductor is a special alloy to permit constant flexing without eventual fatigue fracture. At one time it was a beryllium/copper alloy, not sure what is used today. But they are available from NAPA in a variety of configurations.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 21:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They show up on ebay and sometimes older Napa stores or their warehouse stores have a few in stock or will order one. This is a list of what Napa had available a few years ago that is close in length to those in our distributors. If one of them looks possible you can try Napa but if they order it special freight can be high. Best bet in that case is try and find something on ebay.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.95 KB)
209_5ef6ae7be131a.jpg 723X600 px

Posted on: 2020/6/26 21:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Other possible sources:
brillman.com

the tractor parts places. They seem to have a deeper inventory and many parts are interchangeable. But you need to know how to specify.interchange.

Local auto electric shop

other solution, put in an electronic ignition set.ie, eliminate the issue.

Just so happens, I was looking up some ignition arts, and
carid.com shows distributor wires. Both sides.

Posted on: 2020/6/27 7:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I think there are two of the distributor flex wires - one to the points and one to the vacuum advance - Right ?

Posted on: 2020/7/2 20:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Typically when there are two, one is the "hot" lead carrying the current from the coil to the points, and the other is a ground wire connecting the moveable portion of the breaker plate (the portion rotated by the vacuum advance unit) to ground.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 20:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On distributors where the vacuum advance only moves a plate inside the dist there is generally a wire from the points to the outside terminal and maybe one for grounding the plate. If the vacuum advance is the type that rotates the entire distributor body then on some there is an inside wire for the points and generally there is also a ground wire on the outside.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 20:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
So. I should probably replace both ? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/7/2 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I was able to purchase the ground wire on Ebay - in fact . I bought two - cheap and made exactly like the original. Still need to buy the hot lead wire , also available on Ebay.

Posted on: 2020/7/20 20:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved