Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yep and the PS filter is longer for 53-4 and short in 55-6. Napa carries a filter that works but is not the exact length as the original long version. If you get one from Napa be sure to check that the spring on the lid will keep the shorter filter pressed down to the bottom seat on the center pipe so the outlet holes toward the bottom of the pipe is kept covered by the filter. If it does not you may need to add some kind of spacer between the spring and filter.

Posted on: 2020/6/29 22:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Check the Packard Parts X-Ref to see that interchanges with what.

Posted on: 2020/6/29 22:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The parts cross reference has the oil filter number but I don't see anything regarding the PS filter. I'll do some digging for that.

Does anyone have a spare oil bath air filter that would fit a '54? The car came sans filter, and it has the bracket for an oil bath. I'd like to get an air filter on there when I start cleaning up and tuning the engine so I don't get a bunch of dust and dirt inside of it. If you've got one, let me know and I'll pay.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/6/30 14:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Does it have a two or a four barrel carburetor?

On the filter, whenever I see talk here of which newer part fits our cars (and if it is applicable to my own cars) I try to document it in the Notes app on my iPad so that I'll have it with me at my shop or if I'm in town. I remember discussions about the filter so I had a look but unfortunately it was for the 1955-1956 filter. There were also two different power steering pumps so two different filters.

That said, sometimes just taking your old filter to Napa they can find a match.

Posted on: 2020/7/1 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - I'm assuming the carb is original, which would be a 2 barrel (Carter WGD 2102S). But I'll be totally honest....I'm not familiar with carbs so I couldn't tell you if it's a 2 or 4 barrel just by looking at it. It's possible that the carb is non-original. The more I investigate the car the more things I'm finding are kind of weird, so a replacement carb wouldn't surprise me.

For the filters, I'm probably just going to pull them both and take them to NAPA. I took a look in the PS reservoir and the filter is there, but the reservoir is totally empty. And something is now leaking under the car, but I can't tell if it's PS fluid or brake fluid, since the master cylinder and PS components are the in the same place.

Side note, the manual says Type A ATF for power steering. Does that still stand, and is Type A even available anymore?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/7/1 12:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You should be able to tell by looking at the carburetor which is is - a 2-barrel would have a rectangular base while a 4-barrel will be square. If that's not apparent, then knowing the diameter of the top of the carburetor would help to know whether or not I have one. I'm at my shop now for a couple weeks and can check.

Posted on: 2020/7/1 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
It's a two barrel. Carter 118-68. I don't believe this is original.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.27 KB)
1059_5efcece47c4ac.jpg 576X1024 px

Posted on: 2020/7/1 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's just a casting number for the specific part on which it's cast but knowing that it is a 2-barrel helps. I'll see what I have.

Posted on: 2020/7/1 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2020/7/1 15:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Type A is no longer around. Just dump in some Dexron ATF. Do not use "power steering fluid" for a modern car.

Posted on: 2020/7/1 16:55
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved