Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Nearly done with the Treadlevac as there were a couple areas nor covered in the instructions, which are just a section from the shop manual. The instructions that came with the previous kits were much clearer!

A couple issues:

A part no longer needed but no mention made of that fact
One felt seal not included in the kit
An extra o-ring

Anyone with more recent experience who can comment, especially on the o-ring? There was an o-ring needed internally but I'm guessing that this one was for another application that needed smaller one.

UPDATE: The o-ring goes on the compensator are the outlet port. I believe that the originals had a square cross section but this kit used regular round o-rings.

Attach file:

jpeg  (250.65 KB)
60923_5f0359cd6caec.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (216.14 KB)
60923_5f0359f3e34d3.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/6 12:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I can't help you with those questions, but did you look through this and see if it answers them?

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/BTV_Rebuild.pdf

Posted on: 2020/7/6 13:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I tried to but all I get is a black screen. It's not at I've never done it before but those times were using a different kit.

UPDATE: I finally got it to open in a different browser and wish I had it earlier! It is more like the notes I used before and makes far more sense than the Packard shop manual or the Serviceman's Training Manual on Easamatic. It has some flaws and one typo that might be confusing to someone doing it for the first time but nothing a couple tiny edits can't fix! Anyway, very, very nice.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 13:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sent you an email via your website but from the update to your post it is moot now.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 14:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard, I appreciate it even if it did finally open!

Posted on: 2020/7/6 14:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Other than painting (which should have been done when dissembled) it is done! Even the tabs holding on the end plate remained intact when bent. The cover is held on only loosely for the photo but will be taken off for painting once I find copper paint that can withstand brake fluid. Although cleaned up, the remnants of the copper plating are clearly visible.

The cover, cap and the steel end plate were originally plated in copper. The main housing was reported as being bare steel and indeed nothing seemed to interfere with the rust remover I used but Ross' instructions linked above indicates that it was plated. While the end plate on the one in the illustrations was finished in silver, it should be copper. It is hidden after installation, though, so probably does not really matter.

CORRECTION: While the end plate has the same green surface as the reservoir cover suggesting it was once plated copper, I see no copper residue. However, the vacuum connector at the side was clearly once copper plated and still shows some remaining.

Attach file:

jpeg  (299.67 KB)
60923_5f04a28fea135.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/7 11:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Looks great. At some point I need to get my car converted back to the original Treadle Vac system. When you get it back in the car, I'd be curious to see some detail of how it mounts and the brake line hook ups.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/7/7 16:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The Packard Shop Manual and Easamatic Serviceman's Training Manual both show the installation which is quite easy and shouldn't require any replumbing of your existing brake lines. I once installed Easamatic on my 1952 Henney-Packard and no problems at all. Of course, I realized only very recently that the Henney Easamatic uses a larger master but by then I hadn't owned the car for many years (it's in Australia now last I heard).

Posted on: 2020/7/7 17:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a couple of service counselor articles on installing the power brake unit kit in a 51-2. You can find them by going to the service index and 51-54 brake category to download or view. It fits in the 55-6 models the same way but there are some minor differences.

The later units do not have the firewall mounted breather the early unit shows and the frame clearance they show being provided is not an issue in later models. Otherwise the unit mounting on the floor plate is essentially the same.

The biggest difference is the way the brake tubing routes and the brake switch position is slightly different for 55-6. The wider 56 brake pedal is completely different from the 51-55 pedal. If you have a different power unit in the car now chances are the stock pedal was modified or replaced so you might need to source a proper pedal to work the unit.

Posted on: 2020/7/7 18:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, as far as I know, only 1952 had the firewall-mounted breather but I'm not sure about 1953. I know that 1954 didn't have it.

Posted on: 2020/7/7 18:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved