Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Stubborn pin on front driveshaft of '53 Caribbean
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CanyonJerry1943
See User information
Hello all,
The pin in the front universal joint of the driveshaft of my '53 Caribbean is being very stubborn. I took the driveshaft into a local driveshaft repair shop. They tried but eventually gave up on pressing out the pin. The pin has to come out so that the housing can be removed in order to then install a new rubber boot. I have a 20 ton press (Harbor Freight) and a rosebud oxygen/acetylene for heating. Any suggestions appreciated. I am trying to avoid bending anything as I don't have another driveshaft.
Thanks, Jerry

Posted on: 2020/7/11 13:05
 Top  Print 

Re: Stubborn pin on front driveshaft of '53 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you certain the pin and housing must be removed in order to install a new boot? I vaguely recall reading that the boot can be installed without removing them.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 13:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are instructions on how to change the boot without removing the pin.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO7.pdf

I believe there is a modern boot used for CV joints which is split for easy on the car repairs that some have used. Some kind of adhesive is used to join the split. Don't have details on which boot but details might come up with a search of the forums.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 14:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CanyonJerry1943
See User information
I just tried my 20 ton press and no movement. Any opinions about heating? I am concerned of bending while hot and under pressure.
Attached photos show boot and it really isn't an option to install without removing the pin and the housing, especially the housing.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.99 KB)
201829_5f0a18bad4f44.jpg 577X433 px

jpg  (33.64 KB)
201829_5f0a18e370eb0.jpg 577X433 px

jpg  (52.09 KB)
201829_5f0a190479f0c.jpg 577X433 px

Posted on: 2020/7/11 14:56
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CanyonJerry1943
See User information
Well, I'll give it a try, but that does seem awfully optimistic. It's suppose to be 102 here today, so I'll sit the boot outside in the sun. Maybe that will help. The service manual does show the pin removal process. It shouldn't be this difficult, as the universal joint replacement kit includes a new pin.
I will advise.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Apparently, according to the Service Counselor, Packard issued a boot that can be installed over the pin but perhaps the one you have is the earlier design.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 15:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you do remove the pin something I have read for cars using the ball and trunion joints is that getting the pin back in and having it absolutely centered again is quite important. Apparently if the pin is the least bit off center it can throw the balance out and the shaft will need to be rebalanced at a shop.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The boot may absolutely be installed without removing the pin. Grease it up well inside and out and clamp the shaft in a vise. Stretch the small dia over the pin then repeatedly work the housing longitudinally on the shaft to , uh, milk the boot through the housing. Have done this many times but everything has to be greasy inside and out. The senior Detroits such as you have are easier than the junior Detroits as the housing is larger.

I removed a pin one time and swore I would never ever do it again. Needless to say it has to be perfectly centered so that the driveshaft runs true.

Posted on: 2020/7/11 17:43
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CanyonJerry1943
See User information
The boot is on!!! But what a %#&^#* pain. Still have to grease, put on the front seal plate and gasket, and paint it. That's tomorrow. Couldn't done it without the nimble small fingers of the wife. We'll celebrate the driveshaft tomorrow, July 12th...and our 50th Wedding Anniversary. The virus prevented our planned big trip. But got to be happy anyway.
Some of you may have notice in the pictures I placed the boot next to the driveshaft backwards, I knew which way it went, just didn't place it right for the photos. New photos attached. The boot on, the correct boot orientation, and the bruise on my left thumb from when the boot pop over the pin. Ouch.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.26 KB)
201829_5f0a55e74b981.jpg 577X433 px

jpg  (44.06 KB)
201829_5f0a55fe047b2.jpg 577X433 px

jpg  (29.14 KB)
201829_5f0a5614b4de7.jpg 577X433 px

Posted on: 2020/7/11 19:18
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

CanyonJerry1943
See User information
The last post cut off my saying thanks guys. Great to have some support.
Regards
Jerry & Ann

Posted on: 2020/7/11 19:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved