Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
How long are 6 volt batteries lasting ?
I replaced mine in April of 2014, 6 years ago
I needed a jump today to get it running after a short drive.
What length of service are others finding?

Posted on: 2020/7/12 19:22
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 volt battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Six years is not untypical for 6-volt lead acid batteries. I use NAPA Group 4 Commercial batteries in my '34 Packard, I've had them last as long as 8 years and as short as 5.

Posted on: 2020/7/12 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I just replaced my battery-lasted 3 yrs but had a problem with the Voltage regulator that may have shortened the life. I usually get around 6yrs-use batteries from tractor supply

Posted on: 2020/7/13 15:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have been using Optima batteries for many years and they have all lasted lots longer than 5 years. I currently have one in my 39 Packard that is over 10 years old. I have one in my 53 that is now five years old and it replaced an Optima battery that was 12 years old.

The Optima 6 volts have 800 Cranking amps and no liquid acid to spill. You'll never see a corroded terminal on an Optima battery.

Posted on: 2020/7/18 0:12
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe D'Agostino
See User information
Did you jump your car from another 6 volt car? Or a 12 volt car? I thought we could damage components when jumping from 12 volts?

Posted on: 2020/7/21 20:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't speak about gel batteries, but jumping 12-volt to 6-volt with lead/acid batteries has been done safely without damage for as long as we've had 6 and 12 volt cars. Two important points; observe polarity, and maintain the connection for the shortest possible time and certainly no more than 10 seconds and allow a cool-down between attempts if a repeat attempt is needed. More attempts than that and you'll risk stressing your starter motor.

Posted on: 2020/7/21 22:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Longevity of a lead acid battery, whether it is 6 or 12 V, is highly dependent on 1) how it is maintained (state of charge and 2) number of cycles from full to very low charge (~1/2 or less) and electrolyte level (make sure you add water when needed). I had a set of 12 V batteries in my RV last for 18 years as they were always on a trickle charger and the water level checked at least once a month.

On another note the Optima Batteries of old are not the same as those of today. If you need to replace your battery Interstate makes a quality product. And no, I don't work for nor own Interstate stock, but they are not always available and have a set on Napa 6 V batteries in my RV for house batteries as we speak.

OOPS - It was more like 13 or 14 years and not 18. They were the two original chassis batteries from 2003 that died around 2017/18. I guess it was either a New Math error or ???

Posted on: 2020/7/24 2:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
After needing a jump, I replaced my 6 year old battery with a new one from O Reilly's for $130.00. They got it to the store in about 5 hours.

Last season, I noticed two electrical problems:
My horn would work erratically and
My oilGauge would sometimes spike to the right and then return to normal.

I have not noticed either problem since I replaced the battery.

Does anyone think the failing battery may have caused these glitches?
Any opinions?

Posted on: 2020/7/25 19:30
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Horn and gauge issues are not likely due to the battery. Horn is probably a poor or intermittent contact between the wire and the large contact plate it pushes against or between the contact plate and the horn ring when the ring is pushed. A horn relay with dirty or failing contacts is also a possibility.

Battery feed terminal of the temp, oil and fuel gauges are connected together and fed directly with 6v volts from the same wire. If only the oil gauge is having a problem the most likely cause is a failing oil sender, sticking pressure relief valve in the oil pump or a bare spot in the wire between the sender and gauge that is intermittently touching ground.

Posted on: 2020/7/25 20:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved