Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
When you take the Shift Column apart watch a a plug at the bottom of the spring. The Cotter key holds it in place then the spring on top of it. I'm guessing it helps to keep dirt and water out.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (63.55 KB)
1003_5f0e780fa25d2.jpg 809X902 px

Posted on: 2020/7/14 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you. My shop is closed and locked without power now until the next time I come up, at which time I hope to dedicate to the Patrician so I'll try to remember to look for it. What it is made from and/or what color might it be? If time before my flight tomorrow, maybe I should make a trip out to look.

As for the disassembly, I did get the column out, the shaft removed and the stuck bit un-stuck but I am not sure how to actually remove it for a more thorough cleaning and lubricating. I don't typically use the car itself as a workbench but did so in this case mainly for the photo.

Attach file:

jpeg  (284.12 KB)
60923_5f0e79c95c5a9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (251.73 KB)
60923_5f0e79e8b29fa.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/14 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I went back out to the shop in the dark armed with only a flashlight (there are coyotes in the area) and looked around but did not see the small part. The spring had come out on its own when I removed the cotter pin and I wasn't looking for anything else so didn't see the small piece fall. Anyway, couldn't find it so it may have lodged itself somewhere in the frame or under the car. At least it's not on the walkway where I'll kick it away when I'm next there!

One tool that came in very handy was a remote camera so that I didn't need to stand on my head while disconnecting the gas pedal. It let me see and remove the cotter pin that was there which I had been trying to do by feel before I remembered the camera.

Once the column is back together, I'll rebuild the booster, bleed the brakes and it should be good to test run around the properly! The other booster I rebuilt was intended to go into it but I may save or sell it.

Attach file:

jpeg  (353.33 KB)
60923_5f10ee2e1695f.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (216.40 KB)
60923_5f1167e9afd2d.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/16 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
PackardDon, I was lucky, I had pulled the whole unit out and had it on a table when I was taking mine apart and when the spring shot out is when I found the little piece that goes in there. I think a lot of them get lost once the spring shoots out. It's nothing special just a slug to try and keep dirt out is my guess.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/7/16 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have the column out from the parts car so if I can't find the one that popped out I'll get it from there!

Now that I have the column out and apart, how do I actually remove the shaft that was stuck so that I can properly clean it? It's freed up now but simply lubricated with WD40 which is the same as no lubrication at all.

Posted on: 2020/7/17 3:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I don't know if this will help or not, this is from my 47.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (115.72 KB)
1003_5f11bc18f31c1.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/17 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pay particular attention to cleaning and polishing the end of the shift tube where the shift levers are located. The levers need to be absolutely free to independently rotate on the tube. My tube was corroded and rusted so the top lever was stuck solid.

When the tongue selects one of the levers to rotate it to shift into a gear, the other lever must be completely free so it stays in position held only by the detents in the trans. If one of them (usually the upper 2-3 lever since it gets any water or dirt collecting on the tube and no place for lube) is rusted or corroded to the tube it will want to move too and cause the operator lever to bind up so badly continued force trying to shift will break the potmetal at the operator end.

As far as function, the Ultra lever and tube is very similar except that the shift lever is a single piece and fastened to the rod. Pulling back on the operator lever drops it down so a pin on the lever can clear the park and reverse locking detents in the pie shaped sector piece.

Here is a 47 setup and I believe except for the shape of the shift levers the 51-4 standard trans have the identical tube, rod and tongue arrangement.

Attach file:

jpeg  (37.65 KB)
209_5f11c51f82a1f.jpeg 1280X312 px

jpeg  (35.59 KB)
209_5f11c52b0060b.jpeg 1280X343 px

jpeg  (70.16 KB)
209_5f11c535ded85.jpeg 1280X700 px

jpeg  (126.38 KB)
209_5f11c54b2a8fe.jpeg 1227X1122 px

Posted on: 2020/7/17 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Wes and Howard! Mine is an Ultramatic but that's just a detail so these diagrams and photos are very helpful. Based on those, it appears that I should be able to tap out the shaft from the bottom so is the top bit just a light press fit?

Posted on: 2020/7/17 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
PackardDon, I'm not sure if I took it out from the top or the bottom? Because I did take the top plug out for a reason. I'm thinking it can out the top.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/7/17 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Wes. Looking at the exploded view, it appears to come out through the top but I'll know better once I'm back to working on it.

On the Treadle-vac unit, there is a large thin washer over the end of the vacuum piston's housing behind the pedal bellows which has this pad on top of it. Should there be something to keep the washer from rattling when the pedal is depressed and what is the purpose the notches on this seal? They do not appear to align with anything.

It is approximately 2-1/8" OD X 1-1/4" ID with a thickness of about 1/8". It appears to have been made of a soft rubber or dense foam rubber but is in such poor condition that I can't tell for sure and would need to know before having some made.

Attach file:

jpeg  (72.94 KB)
60923_5f177a843ca1b.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/7/21 18:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16) 17 18 19 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved