Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1937 120 Trunk Shelf
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I am at the point where I will construct the trunk shelf for my 120 Touring Sedan. I can make it based on the dimensions without much issue but I don't know how these were built initially. Does anyone have the following information:
1) Of what were these shelves made
2) Were they carpeted or not
3) If the materials of which these were built were assembled in multiple pieces instead of a single piece, were these pieces assembled using tongue-in-groove and glued together or were they assembled using some other technique.
I have really appreciated everyone's expertise while I get my Packard on the road.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 21:43
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 120 Trunk Shelf
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I believe that the shelf is plywood.
There is no carpet, only a rubber mat.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 22:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
While I doubt that Packard (or their suppliers) use it for making drawers and shelves, from a woodworkers perspective, I would suggest you consider using Baltic birch plywood of the correct thickness. It is a great product for this type of application. It will provide a look that is way above using even high grades of plywood available from a Home Depot or Lowe's store and it should only cost about 15 to 20% more.

Posted on: 2020/7/24 2:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Second the birch. It seems much more stable and doesn't come warped like most plywood...

Posted on: 2020/7/24 7:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
to reiterate the obvious, exterior grade preferred so the glue is moisture resistant. Most Baltic birch is sold for cabinetry. But I agree that the quality is far superior to ordinary plywood.

Posted on: 2020/7/24 8:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As you said, there appear to be no good photos of a 37 trunk shelf readily found. We don't have a 37 fact book but there is a poor photo of a 36 and 38 trunk in those year fact books. From the photos showing what appears to be a full width shelf, I would guess it was made from the plywood others have suggested and the wood edge was exposed. It would appear the shelf just has a thin mat laying on top. Another thread has a photo of what is thought to be an original 39 mat posted in comment #15 on the second page.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=144048#forumpost144048

Since the 120 was a basic car and even had a bare bones rubber mat covering the front seat floor, I would doubt the trunk mat was anything as luxurious as regular carpet. Even into the 50s the basic trunk mat was a very thin piece of support material with a coarse fiber like coating on one side. In 37 I would not expect much more than a rubber mat or the thin fiber piece similar to that of the 39.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.53 KB)
209_5f1ae8ee67b31.jpg 768X914 px

jpg  (99.46 KB)
209_5f1ae8f798164.jpg 1082X1030 px

Posted on: 2020/7/24 9:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...One might also consider Marine Plywood. It is among the better types of plywood. Designed for use in a wet environment. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/7/24 9:19
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
Hey Roger, I'm getting ready to send out your order today. I have a template for that rear shelf, if you need it I can put it in the box for you. let me know. Mike/Tucson Packard

Posted on: 2020/7/24 10:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Not shown, but isn't there supposed to be a hole in the shelf and maybe the rubber mat too to check the spare's air pressure without having to remove it?

Posted on: 2020/7/24 10:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hey, Mike. Yes, that would be great. I was going to start on it from what I've been able to create here, but if you have an actual template I would love to have it.
Roger

Posted on: 2020/7/24 10:31
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved