Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 25 »

Re: Wes's Maroon 1947 Custom Super Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Interior is crap... The headliner is gone, but at least I have the bows...

Posted on: 2020/7/29 16:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ptv wrote:
Wouldn't you use the rear brake lights as the turn signals,
same as you would for an add on switch?

Not if you use the stock switch that fits in the shroud. Up until the 23rd series the turn signals were basically a completely separate system from the rest of the car electrics -- separate filaments in front and separate bulbs in rear. The switch for the 21st series is only a 3 wire switch with an on position for each direction. There is no provision for bringing the brake light signal in and separately feeding the rear filaments for both brake and turn signal functions.

The add on system would have the correct switch to do that but Packard did not have that function until the 23rd series. The 23rd and later switches have the lever exit thru a slot in the side of the shroud.

Posted on: 2020/7/29 17:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Just a couple of pictures of Tail Light Assy.
Wes
Missing the gasket.

Attach file:

jpg  (205.17 KB)
1003_5f221c7fa3a3b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (272.60 KB)
1003_5f221ca1b1516.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/29 20:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Getting ready to rewire my Directional Signal Switch, found my old link so I can get started on that.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19912&forum=10&post_id=196244#forumpost196244

Still looking for one good light socket for my Brakes and Directional Signal Lights out of all the rusted parts I have.

Just to show how rusted it is I'm uploading a photo of what is left of the License Plate Light.

Also showing a photo of the Passengers Side Brake and Directional Signal Light, since it looks like it is different from the other three.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (183.29 KB)
1003_5f25e18268fdd.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (151.17 KB)
1003_5f25e19736366.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/1 16:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cannot help with the rusted outer housings but on the sockets themselves, if the shell is still good new contacts, washers and other guts can be found at RI wiring.http://www.riwire.com Check out the washers, buttons and springs part of the supplies section

Posted on: 2020/8/1 17:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks Howard!
I wonder if those little round gaskets are still available for the light socket as shown in the previous post. Found all the other part athttp://www.riwire.com as you stated.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/1 22:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Borth Auto Parts, has some 1946 tail light housings online for sale. But I don't think they have the dual bulbs for turn signals.....

Posted on: 2020/8/2 8:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Wesley Boyer wrote:
Thanks Howard!
I wonder if those little round gaskets are still available for the light socket as shown in the previous post. Found all the other part athttp://www.riwire.com as you stated.
Wes

Wes, I doubt that exact ring or gasket will be easily found. It was probably part of the socket assy and was made for the job by whatever vendor Packard used to make the socket or tail light assys.

Closest I see commercially available is an O ring support from McMaster. My gaskets are missing so am not sure exactly where they sit on the sockets. Doing a quick measurement on mine, the single turn signal bulb looks to be about 1 1/16 and the dual filament for brake/tail is about 1 1/8.

If you measure yours and can verify the ID needed for the place it sits, there is something called a backup ring that might work. There are many sizes available but here is one about in the middle of both my measurements. If you measure the ring you have then the question would be the thickness and whether it can be flexible enough one size would work for both those diameters.https://www.mcmaster.com/5288T176/

Posted on: 2020/8/2 11:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Wes: do you need both sockets? i am sure i have some if i can find them and remember to look tomorrow.

Posted on: 2020/8/2 16:23

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks all for the help and information. For now I'm only short one Drivers Side Brake and Directional Signal Socket but I do have a couple of spare that I'm hoping I can get one to work. It's more the internal springs have lose there spring.
Howard it looks like that gasket goes on the outside of the house just under the spring-able ring on the outside of the housing.
Dell let me see what happens first with what I've got and thanks.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/3 0:22
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 19 20 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved