Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 108

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

356 Water Pump Hub Height
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
In July of 2011 I purchased a water pump for a Packard 356 engine. I purchased it as something I might need in the future (I have 3 Packards with 356 engines and I figured I would need to replace a pump sooner or later). It's now later and I pulled the pump from my '50 Custom and was about to install the new pump when I noticed that the pulley couldn't possibly clear the pump. I assumed I had been sent the wrong pump from the vendor but based on a recent post from HH56 I think all I have to do is take the pump to a machine shop and have the hub pressed out to match the height of the old pump.
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I don't know the exact details on a six pump but I too was surprised a new repro pump was available for the 356 engine.

I asked the Packard guys at Kanter about this since the 356 was not in the scheme of things, a large production engine. If I remember correctly the answer was the water pump bodies themselves were essentially identical on all the common or mass produced inline engines from the mid 30s thru the 50 models. Not sure if that statement holds for the pre 1940 senior super eight engines though.

Anyway, the reason they were available for low volume engines was the only significant difference between pumps had to do with the size of the fan hub and the distance it was pressed onto the shaft. A single common repro pump could thus be used by only pressing on the correct size hub and setting it the proper distance for the particular year and engine.

The photo shows the pump from the '50 on the left and the replacement pump on the right. There's quite a difference in hub height. Am I correct in thinking that I can have the hub 'raised' to match the old pump and then should be good to go?

Attach file:

jpg  (77.67 KB)
188_5f3ae7943bdb7.jpg 1068X582 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 15:26
 Top  Print 

Re: 356 Water Pump Hub Height
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might confirm with Stuart at Kanter as I believe he is the one I spoke with when wondering how they could do a repro pump for a limited volume 356. My 47 356 pump looks similar to yours on the left. The shaft is perfectly flush with the front of the hub and there is just under 1/2" of space between the pump body and rear of hub. It arrived from Kanter perfectly set up and was a bolt on.

I am wondering if the shaft length might be another difference that was a compromise to get one assy. The new shaft looks a bit shorter in that photo and it would appear that to get the 1/2" behind the hub it might be recessed into the hub a slight bit in the front.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56, note that Stuart retired from Kanter's a while back.

Posted on: 2020/8/17 16:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
...I am wondering if the shaft length might be another difference that was a compromise to get one assy. The new shaft looks a bit shorter in that photo and it would appear that to get the 1/2" behind the hub it might be recessed into the hub a slight bit in the front.

Actually, the old pump shaft was recessed considerably, maybe 1/4". But not to worry... it was secured firmly with a messy splash of welding . I'll see what a machine shop can do make the new pump work for my '50. Will advise.

P.S. The new pump was not purchased from Kanter or Max.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.09 KB)
188_5f3afa1ed223b.jpg 709X472 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 16:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Seem to remember something about this in many years past for my 1940 180. Had to take off back water pump cover, and support the impellers, and in a hydraulic press, used a socket to press on the hub not the shaft to be at same height as the one that had already been on the engine. Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/8/17 17:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It does make sense. Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/8/18 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The 1940 356 water pump is a one year only item. The shaft and hub are shorter than the 1941-50 356 pumps. You may have a 1940 only one from years ago.

Posted on: 2020/8/18 20:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved