Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
if reversed, it would just indicate the opposite polarity - the value is still accurate.

IF it's a digital multimeter. For an analog meter (with a needle) the polarity must be correct but you'll know right away if it isn't because the needle will move below the increments on the face. Personally I would prefer digital too but my shop gets so bitterly cold that the LED displays freeze and are thus permanently damaged.

Posted on: 2020/8/18 13:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Agreed, however if the meter is an analog unit the needle will 'pin' downscale. Most digital meters will indicate a 'negative' voltage value if the leads are located incorrectly . . . emphasis on 'most'.

dp

Posted on: 2020/8/18 14:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Alright, so I got up underneath the dash again tonight and tested the two terminals on the headlight switch circuit breaker. The light probe wasn't giving me anything (probably not a good ground), so I tested with the multi meter. Both terminals gave me 6.23 volts, which is the same as the battery terminals. Side note, on my multi meter it doesn't matter which probe goes where....if it's wrong it will just be a negative number.

While I was there, I poked the lead into whatever plugs I could reach on the switch to see if any of them had power. I didn't get anything. The ignition was on to "accessory" and the headlight switch was all the way out.

The switch is gritty when engaged due to the effects of sandblasting. I'm assuming puling it and cleaning it will help, but is there something else going on here?

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/8/18 22:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
No, nothing else is going on. You will have to pull the switch and clean it. That has probably been covered here before as a search will reveal.

Posted on: 2020/8/19 6:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes Kevin your right, it doesn't matter which way you have your leads (just as long as you know what your looking for), only to us old guys who are used to an old analog meter with a needle that would peg out when connected backwards. Oh the good old days!
Little humor (very little).
Wes

Posted on: 2020/8/19 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Ross, that's what I figured. I'll work on pulling/cleaning that switch this week and hopefully get it working again.

Last night I got distracted by a very large box that showed up on my doorstep. I was excited to see that my new fuel tank and sender had arrived from Auto City Classic. The new tank seems well made and is painted in a silver color.

The new sender is stainless, and is a slightly different design than the original Packard one.

The fill neck (as noted elsewhere on this site) is slightly different than the original. Once mounted the cap is still in a good position.

Auto City Classic does not have fuel tank straps or strap liners, and two of the old liners were trash. I cut new ones from an old inner tube, and used the two good old ones as well.

I cleaned up the mounting straps and quickly painted them, then mounted the tank. The T-bolts gave me some trouble because of corrosion, but I eventually got the tank up nice and snug. I ran out of time last night trying to get the fuel line hooked up (wouldn't thread), so it's not quite ready to go yet.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (65.92 KB)
1059_5f3d40b2c234d.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (55.56 KB)
1059_5f3d44b91c8ca.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (77.96 KB)
1059_5f3d44c78b591.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (82.37 KB)
1059_5f3d44d42e6d9.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (68.72 KB)
1059_5f3d4564c2286.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (92.49 KB)
1059_5f3d457ca2973.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2020/8/19 10:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Dragging a multimeter around under the dash can be a pain if all you need test is hot continuity rather than a voltage reading. Here's a couple I used back in my 6V days. A cheap Harbor Freight 12V test light will work and detect 6V with a bit dimmer illumination. Also, I soldered test leads to a 6V taillight bulb (used only one element)) with colored leads to one element and the bulb ground.

Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.45 KB)
8531_5f3d43b01bcbf.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/8/19 10:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tinman, back in the day I made a tester similar to yours. I sharpened a short length of welding rod; soldered it to a one element lamp socket; and then soldered a wire with an aligator clip to finish the tester. Worked well and easy to use.

Posted on: 2020/8/19 13:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
JW,

I sharpened a short piece of coat hanger and stuck it in the alligator clip as a probe.

Joe

Posted on: 2020/8/19 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I took my wife out on a super unromantic "first drive" in the Panama. I got the new fuel tank all the way hooked up, she helped me bleed the brakes so we could actually stop, then she sat on the bare metal floor surrounded by tools, while I sat on my plastic crate and we cruised up and down the gravel driveway.

It was dark by then and I hadn't fixed the headlight switch, so I used an actual headlight(headlamp) for illumination. She was a good sport....we both got dust in our eyes (no windshield) and big whiffs of exhaust (holes cut in the floor and missing rear exhaust pipe), but she still had fun. It gives me motivation to keep pushing on the car. I can't wait to be able to drive her on date nights to a nice restaurant, or take our kids to get a shake or ice cream.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpeg  (41.91 KB)
1059_5f405a0045f76.jpeg 1008X756 px

Posted on: 2020/8/21 18:34
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved