Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front shocks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I also do not know how 39 shocks might compare with others but there is an excellent how-to in the literature section written by another poster. The article covers the 41 and later Delco shocks as used on Clipper based bodies thru 50. Those are different per side but I believe the primary difference making them R and L is the shape of the arms and location of a clamping bolt. You might check the photos to see if there is any similarity to yours.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/Delco_Shock_Rebuild.pdf

Posted on: 2020/8/23 9:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2020/8/23 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you Howard and John, I'm on it! John, you had mentioned a price of, I think, $245 a piece in an email quite a while back, do you remember the source you were referring to?? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/23 14:21
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I removed them from my 1940 110, I ended up having to saw the bolts where it pivoted as no amount of persuasion would free it. New bolts and rebuilt shocks, it rode and handled beautifully. What a difference!

Posted on: 2020/8/23 14:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Hi Chris,

From what I read in the MOTORs manual, you do not need to remove the coil spring. They place a jack under the lower control arm so it is under the coil spring then place the weight of the car on that jack stand. Then all you need to remove is the upper link to the shock arm and the 4 bolts holding the shock to the frame.
I'm not sure now. It might have been the 5 points place Howard was talking about....
John

Posted on: 2020/8/23 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I took the fronts off of my 38 without removing the springs

Posted on: 2020/8/23 15:38
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Correct - the procedure is in the service manual, and works great if they aren't rusted in! Definitely doesn't require removing the spring- you have to disconnect the shock to get the spring removed.

Posted on: 2020/8/23 17:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Gents-all, for the responses. I will begin a strategy plan to get them out and hopefully they will come apart. If I have to, Don - I'll take your advice and cut the bolts. Really appreciate the input. You all have to know what a great help it is to tackle these projects with P.I.'s collective knowledge base as a technical reference and a sounding board.
Kind of like an online 'mechanics for dummies'! Sure helps 'challenged' wrenches like myself. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/23 17:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
There are 2 shocks on Ebay right now but they have 2 different part numbers

Hey Phil,

I looked at those and they LOOK a lot like the units on my car, and while the price is decent, I'd be loathe to take a chance on them, as the post amble on the listing says that one may be from a different year than the other and the condition re: NOS, rebuilt, or just cleaned up and spray painted black, is 'unknown'. We all know what that means (probably the latter! LOL) Is there any 'shelf life' to these shocks when rebuilt?? I would think NOS would have extremely old rubber in them for seals and be suspect. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/8/24 12:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, there is a shelf life which would depend on many things, such as how and where it was stored but even it kept in optimal conditions, the seals could dry out. I recently bought some NOS potmetal scripts for my 1956 Clipper but age caused pits to start which were making the attaching pins explode off! Unfortunate because they were otherwise beautiful.

Posted on: 2020/8/24 12:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved