Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 49

BigKev, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Well, damn it! I was hoping I had actually found one that was Jade and Topaz. The Jade and Agate can look the same in certain lights.

The 2 images below are of the exact same car taken from difffert angles.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.88 KB)
5209_5f3b20f049da4.jpg 640X640 px

jpg  (50.07 KB)
5209_5f3b2100f1ed5.jpg 640X640 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 19:30
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
On Facebook

Attach file:

jpeg  (54.43 KB)
1220_5f3b3a3eb8338.jpeg 790X444 px

Posted on: 2020/8/17 21:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Martin Mabey
See User information
Looks like a lot of work! I just started a 55 400 hardtop and was wondering if you know where I might get look to find a couple of rear wheel brake drums? I was also kinda afraid to ask, but have you heard anyone talk about cutting the rivets off the rear brake drum hubs to put new drums on??

Posted on: 2020/9/1 21:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have heard of people not having the proper puller cutting the rivets off to try and remove the drums but not to change them for wear. It is such a critical piece that I would not even attempt it and those that did I believe just destroyed what they had since they were more than likely completely unrepairable and unusable after the cutting.

Probably the only option is to find good used. You might start with the usual vendors. Max Merritt and Kanter Auto are the main NOS vendors and there are several who deal in used parts that might have something. Tucson Packards, PacificSouthwest, and Mike Dulinski are those who deal heavily in 55-6 items.

Posted on: 2020/9/1 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote: Max Merritt and Kanter Auto are the main NOS vendors and there are several who deal in used parts that might have something. Tucson Packards, PacificSouthwest, and Mike Dulinski are those who deal heavily in 55-6 items.
Howard.

"PacificSouthwest"?

Gerry would be more appreciative if "PackardsSouthwest" was used instead.

Posted on: 2020/9/2 1:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Apparently earlier brake drums have the same part number and I have several from 1951, 1952 and 1954 senior models although I've not yet measured them to see how much life might be left. If you have no luck with the other suggested sources, let me know and I'll check when next at my shop.

Posted on: 2020/9/2 1:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:

HH56 wrote: Max Merritt and Kanter Auto are the main NOS vendors and there are several who deal in used parts that might have something. Tucson Packards, PacificSouthwest, and Mike Dulinski are those who deal heavily in 55-6 items.
Howard.

"PacificSouthwest"?

Gerry would be more appreciative if "PackardsSouthwest" was used instead.

You are so right and I apologize to Gerry. It is PACKARDS SOUTHWEST in San Diego, CA. That is what happens when I miss my afternoon nap and half of the few still active brain cells I have and can usually count on go to sleep.

Posted on: 2020/9/2 8:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
A sad photo. Saw this on Facebook.
Wes

Attach file:

jpeg  (71.21 KB)
1003_5f4fa1f85c4c7.jpeg 504X960 px

Posted on: 2020/9/2 8:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one at least looks to be in better shape than another I saw from an earlier model. On the earlier attempt they had bent the visible plate the rivets went thru so doubtful the drum would ever run true again. Even if you manage to keep everything flat and true and can get a new drum in balance, where would you find a replacement drum because Packard never made any and as far as I know drums that could be replaced by cutting them off were never an aftermarket item.

Don't think usable drums are quite extinct enough yet to make it cost effective but maybe salvaging old drums that can no longer be machined and then cutting them off to reuse the hub would be a project someone could come up with to make a disk brake setup for rear wheels. As long as some instructions and common sense in cutting off the drums was followed it might be a viable option. Eventually the need will arise for some kind of replacement.

Posted on: 2020/9/2 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I finally got the interior painted. To bad it will eventually be covered up and never be seen by anyone outside this blog. Still hoping to epoxy seal the exterior before it gets cold.

Planning to spend the winter month working on the fenders, doors and dash board.

The 400 has been in my shop for so long I'm not sure what to do next to be honest.

Attach file:

jpg  (187.65 KB)
5209_5f712724b773c.jpg 1494X2656 px

Posted on: 2020/9/27 18:58
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 66 67 68 (69) 70 71 72 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved