Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Just popping in
Just popping in

D Mark
See User information
Before my Father passed away, he restored a '41 Packard, the model he learned to drive in. He went to a number of Packard Rally's.
He passed away and Over a number of years I now own it.

Paint job is beautiful. Engines runs. I take grandkids on rides.

Here is what it needs.

Generator doesn't charge. I've shorted it from firewall and it works for a while but then magnets loose charge.

Automatic choke on carb probably needs to be replaced

The ignition switch failed so I replaced it. We didn't mark the wires carefully and the overdrive wire(s) are not connected.

Steering needs to be tightened. It wanders a bit.

Radio (in trunk) needs to be installed but dash is complete

Upholstery needs to be replaced as in before I obtained possession, another family member allowed mice to eat the wool.

Question, should I sell this as a project car or find some knowlesgable person fix a few things up.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark Weiss
435-363-6363

Posted on: 2020/9/5 20:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Nothing you have described raised any issues in my mind, other than the cost of a full on correct detailed interior. If you are just taking it for joyrides, no real need to satisfy any judging cost. Do what works best budgetwise and enjoy.
Working through a few wiring/charging/Overdrive/steering/choke issues should not be a problem with the support from this website - the systems are rather simple. The overdrive is seemingly complex, but trust me, we have the support of Howard (HH56) on this website, definitely one of the worlds experts on this system.
With the overdrive working, a 41-120 is a very friendly car to drive at any reasonable speed. Good choice for a family car.

Finally, as to the radio, my personal opinion is leave it in the trunk and bring the bluetooth speaker for the music on your phone.

Posted on: 2020/9/5 21:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Get the generator rebuilt, get a new VR, new battery, get some seat covers, and the rest is history. Go cruze.
If you nit pick it, you might as well sell it and apt to let it go cheap.

Posted on: 2020/9/6 8:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
If you follow the good advice and recommendations already given, you will have a desirable, satisfying Packard to drive and enjoy. Please keep us apprised of your progress on this 120, they're a really fine car.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/9/6 21:07
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
you might want to keep an eye out for a radio blank out plate. It wasn't expensive and the radio repair can wait a bit. Your 120 speaker grille is different than this but the radio plate is the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (491.85 KB)
1020_5f5a89c6b57bd.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/9/10 15:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved