Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Screw-in ditributor wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I have a distributor ( Delco ) that has wires that screw into the distributor cap - not plug in _ What vehicles used this ?

Posted on: 2020/9/7 13:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Screw-in ditributor wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do you really mean wires that end with a thread and screw into to cap, or perhaps wires that terminate with an eyelet and are attached to the cap with a machine screw?

If the latter, that's typical of many distributors from many makes of cars from the early years up to the mid-30s. My '34 Packard with NorthEast distributor uses high tension wires terminated with eyelets and attached to the cap with machine screws. The spark plug end also uses eyelets attached to the plug with knurled thumb wheel nuts.

Posted on: 2020/9/7 14:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Owen - I mean each wire has an attachment that screws into the distributor cap hole. The wire is threaded thru the attachment. Even the center coil wire uses this arrangement. This cap and wires came on a Delco 1110811 distributor, which I bought as a spare for my car. I think I have seen a thread about this wire connector. I dont know what this came off -

Posted on: 2020/9/7 18:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the clarification, I'm not familiar with that cap and wiring technique. Pictures?

Posted on: 2020/9/7 18:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have never seen one like that in a Packard but that doesn't mean much. There was a poster who bought a NOS coil purported to be for a 47 Clipper which also has a screw in arrangement. Another poster posted a photo of another screw in coil with a similar terminal. The first poster was or maybe still is having difficulty getting a solid connection to the wire. Is your distributor arrangement anything like the coils?http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=224280#forumpost224280

Posted on: 2020/9/7 18:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
Owen - I mean each wire has an attachment that screws into the distributor cap hole. The wire is threaded thru the attachment. Even the center coil wire uses this arrangement. This cap and wires came on a Delco 1110811 distributor, which I bought as a spare for my car. I think I have seen a thread about this wire connector. I dont know what this came off -

The 1110811 distributor is correct for your car and it should have a conventional cap, Delco number 1837974 which was also used for many GM 8 cylinder cars from 1940 to the early 50's.
Looks like someone put an oddball cap on your distributor.

Posted on: 2020/9/7 18:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Yes Howard - The image you posted is like the screw in wires and coil wire Thanks

Posted on: 2020/9/7 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Brian - The distributor in question is a spare - I have the correct cap on my 48 - Thanks

Posted on: 2020/9/7 20:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Can you share a photo of the cap? It sounds like an aftermarket item. It would be nice to identify the maker. Thanks.

Posted on: 2020/9/8 10:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
JW - The pictures are too large to post here , but I have them on the other forum - Regards

Posted on: 2020/9/8 18:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved