Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: 51Pack200's 1951 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes, open the convertor, clean it out and replace the perimeter and stub shaft gasket. Examine thrust washers for gouging. Make sure the direct clutch disc is not flaking and that it is soft enough you can make a mark in it with a thumbnail. Don't forget to mark all components to maintain original balance.

In the convertor and in the trans every bushing must fit to its shaft with .005 clearance or less (factory fit was .002-.003") otherwise control pressures will not get where they are supposed to go.

Your valve body will be filthy inside. The low and reverse servos have 3 rubber seal rings each that must be soft enough to seal.

Pay close attention to the position of the thrust washers at the governor drive so the unit will not spray oil out of the vent.

The reactor clutch is behind the front pump. Make sure it works--it is a one way sprag clutch-- but don't take it apart unless you are into sado- masochism.

Kanter kits work just fine.

Posted on: 2020/7/23 6:50
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
Ross, thanks for the information. I took the converter apart tonight and thankfully there were no surprises. The clutch disk was in great shape. I'll check the bushing clearances when I get it cleaned and ready to reassemble.

Alan

Posted on: 2020/7/23 21:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
Well its been a while since my dive into the trans. Things were going well until I tried to put the 2 bushings into the high range clutch. The bushings are too big. The measure 2.004 OD, the hole measures 1.991. Not sure what to do here. The part number looks like it is correct (410990). The old bushings are shot (almost paper thin) so they can't be used.

Looking for some hints or advice here.

Alan

Posted on: 2020/9/6 22:27
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
Anyone??

Posted on: 2020/9/10 20:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I happen to know Ross is temporarily "on the dark side", i.e. a Studebaker mission for the next few days. Suggest you PM him to ask for consult and I'm sure he'll review when he can.

Posted on: 2020/9/10 20:59
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
OK, I may have a clue here on this bushing issue. After reading through several of the service counselors it appears that at some point during the mfg of the 24th series a change was made to the high range clutch. It went from a 10 plate (5 friction, 5 plate) to a 12 plate (6 and 6) assembly. Is it possible that the bore diameter changed at that time as well? There is no mention of this nor is there a mention of the part number for the bushing changing.

One option I have considered is having a machine shop throw the housing in a lathe.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this and get the trans reassembled.

HELP.....

Alan

Posted on: 2020/9/10 21:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a thin wall and a thicker wall bushing used in the Ultra high range clutches. From most accounts the thin wall bushing was only used on the early 23rd series but since the 23 and 24th series trans were all but identical except for the early change of the valve body and the change to a one piece throttle linkage rod for 51 it is possible the accounts are incorrect. Some mixing of parts might have also occurred over the years if the trans was repaired.

Here is an earlier thread where this is discussed in a bit more detail. Possibly Fred's suggestion of boring out to fit the thicker bushing is the answer or you may need to find the part mentioned. Ross might have a better take on this.http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=64823#forumpost64823

Posted on: 2020/9/10 21:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
Thanks for the info guys. As always one can count on help here. However, I find it disturbing that Ross disappeared without consulting me first.

Posted on: 2020/9/10 22:23
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

51Pack200
See User information
Well with a bit of Ross's help a housing with the correct diameter is on its way. With any luck I will be able to reassemble the transmission this coming weekend.

In addition to all of this, we managed to get the front suspension reassembled so now I can call the frame work complete.

Sorry no pictures. I suck at taking pictures...

Alan

Posted on: 2020/9/28 21:27
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved