Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 71

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

sidemounts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Does anybody know where I can get dummies to fill my sidemounts (1940 Super 8)? I remember hearing of somebody who sold styrofoam dummies, and I'd like to reduce the weight on the front end of my car by eliminating the heavy spare wheels - after all it has yet another spare in the trunk. Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/9/12 21:04
 Top  Print   

Re: sidemounts
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
In understand your goal (you will still have the stiffer springs of a sidemounted car). The covers connect by turnbuckle to the arm, which connects to the wheel, so you still need a wheel. I don't see why you couldn't use a lighter 15" wheel from a 120. The postwar wheel is wider.

I have some concerns with crumbling of rigid foam from vibration, but if you want to try to carve an upper and lower spacer, a trip to the junkyard for the impact absorber between the fascia and the bumper beam on a modern car may be a low cost option. It's a chunk of rigid industrial foam.

Posted on: 2020/9/13 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Removal of Tire from Side Carrier is the article in this service letter
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SL-VOL16NO22.pdf
that tells owners how to compensate for the missing spare and to support the side mount cover, as required by law from Jan 1942.

You were only allowed 5 tires per vehicle. Any extra tires were to be donated to the war effort for the rubber needed.

Posted on: 2020/9/13 12:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Maybe this is a too simplistic approach? But......what about just using a sufficiently inflated inner tube to fill the void?

Posted on: 2020/9/13 18:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
I like your ideas, not sure what I am going to do at this point, Thinking lighter rims and overinflated innertubes...

Posted on: 2020/9/17 12:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Excellent idea - maybe I can even get some of the old heavy duty ones that used to be used to inflate casings against new treads as part of the retreading process. I used to get these and use them for flotation devices in the 1960's and they were indestructible. Wonder if they still exist?

Posted on: 2020/9/17 12:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved