Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

top material
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
It's time for a new top for my 28 convertible coupe. Am I correct in stating that plane canvas is correct? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/9/11 11:08

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: top material
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Tan/ Khaki(if you can find it) was standard. But depending on the color of the car, black might took better with it.

Posted on: 2020/9/11 15:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks Joe; I believe that 42 was the first year for Packard to use many different colors, My 42 top is dark brown or walnut. AS my 28 is two tone blue I will use tan, khaki or the lightest color I can find. My question was directed towards the top material that was available in 1928 and would be correct for the Packard.

Posted on: 2020/9/12 9:22

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Believe the earliest ref to Topping from PACKARD is the 7th series/1930. Called out in the Parts Book - BURBANK 1220 Drab which is a Brownish Gray.
https://www.haartz.com/vintage-restorers-guide/glossary-z

Im betting there is some orig '28 Side Curtains out there somewhere.

Eric Haartz HAARTZ Topping Corp might know a little more. Ill give him a yell and see if he can fill the void on 1928.

Posted on: 2020/9/12 10:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks Packardbarry: I have been doing a little research and believe the 28 originally used a cotton material which was reproduced by Haartz for Lebaron Bonney. Haartz stopped making the cotton material when when Lebaron Bonney closed.
It was suggested that SMS bought what was left, will call them Monday. Other wise it looks like I will have to use Stayfast.

Posted on: 2020/9/12 16:48

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
IF I WAS A BETTING MAN

this period photo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Car-Photo-circa-1928-Packard-Roadster-392032-/372874118784
of a '28 shows the Side Mt Cover and the Top Boot done in a cloth type material. Sooooooooooooo im going to assume its the BURBANK 1220 Drab which is what Haartz might have replicated

BTW: ASSUME is the worst word in the english language

Posted on: 2020/9/12 17:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
First off I owe Joe an apology for my interpretation of his use of Khaki, I thought of it as a color and after reading the information supplied by Packardbarry it was also a material used up to about 1915. I now understand what I have heard about SMS Auto Fabrics, hard to contact and had to leave a message. I wonder if they will respond. Looks like I might have to use Stayfast if correct material is unavailable

Posted on: 2020/9/14 19:54

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Khaki is a color even though it is commonly used as a fabric type. It is an Arabic word meaning Sand Color which is typically a tan so your confusion is understandable! I'm not sure when or how (or why!) it became a type of fabric.

Posted on: 2020/9/15 12:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Don, I agree with you on the colour/fabric question. Also, it is odd how you will hear it pronounced 'kacky' or 'karky'. Not sure if that's the Brits adding their superfluous 'R's' to everything like they do ('Canader'& 'Toyoter', etc.) but I grew up hearing it as 'Karky'. Also, due to the fact that it IS also the name of a fabric, one often hears Khaki-coloured when in reference to a shade. Interesting, just the same.... Chris.

Posted on: 2020/9/15 13:35
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2020/9/15 16:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved