Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

DavidM, 39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Ross. The more I dig into the issue, the more things are making sense. I'm new to all this, and hearing the loud tapping and loss of two cylinders made me worried about a more dire situation.

So there's no harm is letting the lifter hit the stuck valve until it becomes unstuck? That's my only hangup right now.

And a quart of oil to a full tank of gas? Does that foul the plugs at all? I expect it'll smoke a bit.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/9/17 9:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
It'll thin out the mosquitoes in the neighborhood...

Posted on: 2020/9/17 12:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Our old two-stroke Saabs ( the only cars in 65 years of driving my mother said she loved) took a quart of oil for each 8 gallons of gas. Of course they made smoke, but then each Tesla battery represents MANY tons of mine tailings, so its about a horse apiece on the environmental impact.

The usual scenario with a stuck intake is that the engine will be clattering nastily til it warms up enough and the valve starts to move a little bit. Then in the space of 10 seconds the noise level diminishes and finally the engine picks up the two cylinders.

Posted on: 2020/9/17 21:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Turns out I was wrong on which valve....it's the exhaust valve on #3 if I'm looking at it correctly. I pulled the valve cover and that one is for sure sticking. The intake valve must have been open when I did the leak-down. I was happy to see the inside of the valve area was clean and lubricated.

I can turn the valve with effort (using vice grips). It is definitely sticky, sometimes gets stuck up. The other valves that I briefly checked spin freely.

Sprayed some penetrating fluid up there and will let it sit overnight to see if it loosens it up a bit more.

Video shows the lifter smacking the end of the valve. The spring can't get it all the way down before the lifter hits it again.

https://youtu.be/UoyIXI4mpFk

Attach file:

jpg  (183.76 KB)
1059_5f6436a954a13.jpg 1300X731 px

Posted on: 2020/9/17 23:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully it comes down on its own. You can do a search for the exact threads but there have been a couple of people on the forum that started a long dormant engine and ran it on old stale gas in the tank. The engines ran reasonably well for a long sitting engine and was shut down. Posters came back a day to a week later to restart the engine without success. After checking the usual they did a compression check and found several cylinders with no compression. Further investigation found valves stuck so solidly it took brute force to free them. At least with only one cylinder and your valve still turning it has not reached that point but I would suggest you keep checking and turning it frequently so the old varnish deposits do not stick that valve solidly.

Posted on: 2020/9/18 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard, it's all new gas now (ethanol free), but I have no idea how old the gas was when I first got it. Probably not too old because the old tank was leaking.

The valve does pop down, especially when I twist it, but I can feel a lot of resistance. I'll keep messing with it to see if it loosens up some. I put a bit of MMO and Seafoam in the gas tank to see if that will help lubricate it a bit, but I haven't run the engine very long. Ran it for just a couple minutes last night to watch the valve action. But it's so rough with two cylinders missing that I shut it down.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/9/18 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It's typically caused by carbon build-up on the stem which can happen, as Howard said, with bad petrol but possibly also if running far too rich. I was one of those he mentioned and in my case the build up was so great and on so many valves both in the up and in the down position that the cam couldn't even turn.

The other more serious possibility is that some of the sand from the interior sand blasting has worked its way into it.

Posted on: 2020/9/18 11:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I doubt that it was the sand, as it's always had a tick when cold that went away when warm. At least I would hope it's not the sand. Looks nice and clean inside the valve chamber and I've been fastidious about keeping everything clean when working around anything that could get into the interior of the engine (after my mistake with the carb early on).

It looks pretty gummy on the valve shaft. The car definitely runs rich so that could be part of the issue. I did adjust the two idle screws, marking and counting the turns until stop and then backed them off 1 and 1/4 turn. One was already at 1 and 1/4 and the other was closer to two full turns out. Can't tell if it made a difference in idle until I get the valve sorted out though.

Posted on: 2020/9/18 13:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I'm not surprised it was an exhaust valve. That's usually the one that sticks with carbon build up.
There was something reported at one time, maybe someone else can shade more light on it, but while the engine is running to pour or dribble water into the carburetor to help clean out carbon. It's been awhile since I've heard about it but someone has to remember.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/18 18:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Now I more surprised, that no one chimed in about cleaning carbon deposits with water or telling me I'm all WET (Get it water all wet! Ha! I kill me!) Oh well, just something I heard or read about somewhere.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/9/19 19:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 26 27 28 (29) 30 31 32 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved