Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lindbergh in '28 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information

Posted on: 2020/9/17 20:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Lindbergh in '28 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Lindbergh had a busy travel and visit schedule following his transatlantic flight. One of his activities was to fly the Spirit of St. Louis to each state capital. It must have been at the time of having the Moon Lander flying in. I have a photo, taken by my maternal grandfather of the aircraft when it was in Santa Fe. My father was there too. When Lindbergh departed from the plane he asked the gathered crowd: "Are there any mechanics here?" He needed someone to look over the plane for any obvious problems. Someone said Henry Lawrence is here and he can do the job for you. My father got up and close to the airplane. He didn't find any problems. Decades later I had my picture taken with the Spirit of St. Louis at the Air and Space Museum. The aluminum cowling had become stained with oil and fumes and has taken on a nice golden hue. Thanks for letting me share.

Posted on: 2020/9/18 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That is very interesting John - thanks for posting. A very different Packard connection and definitely one of historic significance. One thing I wanted to ask you about is your reference to 'It must have been at the time of having the Moon Lander flying in' - I am not familiar; is that the name of an aircraft? Or, is it of some other reference?? I have read quite a bit about Lindbergh and do not recall anything that relates to that. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/9/18 20:11
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Chris, I was trying to paint a word picture of the significance the first pilot and aircraft to fly the Atlantic nonstop. It must have been similar to the Moon landing some 40 odd years later. Just think what it would have been like to have the Apollo craft and crew visit your city shortly after returning to Earth. They did an extensive tour in the US and other countries, but don't recall them visiting all the state capitals. Lindbergh's achievement was the top story for that time. That's all...

Addendum: Actually, the first aircraft to cross the Atlantic had a Packard connection. The Navy Curtiss sea planes were powered by Liberty engines. It occurred in 1919 and was done with a series of refueling stops, some of them at sea. Four aircraft started but only one (NC-4) completed the mission. It is on display at the Navy museum in Pensacola, Florida.

Posted on: 2020/9/19 11:24
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
John, thanks for the clarification, and yes, it would have been of similar significance, that's for sure. It's like them saying the 'Titanic' was the space shuttle of it's time. Sure is amazing to look back at 'our' short chicklet of time and envision all the profound change that has occurred. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/9/19 15:26
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Something how fast airplanes developed from the Wright Brothers' Flyer to, even by WW1.

Posted on: 2020/9/19 15:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yep, and if you want to see them in action watch "Wings". Great silent film about the air war in the Great War. Buddy Rodgers and Clara Bow. Watch it about once a year.

Take care all, wear those masks, wash hands frequently (there was a reason your mother told you to do this), keep a good distance apart and we will beat this thing.

Posted on: 2020/9/19 17:57
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved