Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

King Pin Rebuild
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
I'm in the midst of rebuilding the King Pin's for a '52 300. I have the king pin kit from Kanter, but before I commit and potentially mess things up, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions.

I've pushed out the old needle bearing and bronze bushing and installed the new ones. The new king pin does not feel like it will go through the bronze pushing without some force. The king pin measures 0.865" and the bushing is around 0.859". This seems like it will require more than the light tapping the service manual suggests. Does the bronze bushing require reaming?

The king pin covers also don't seem like they'll be an easy fit. There is pronounced lip on the on top of the area where they seat. The covers are 1.31", but the lip has reduced the opening to 1.23". Watching a couple of YouTube videos on similar king pin work, they just tap them in with a hammer. I'm not sure if that will work here. What's the best way to get them in?

Thanks

James

Posted on: 2020/9/20 16:38
 Top  Print 

Re: King Pin Rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you may need a reamer and burnisher to set and expand the bushings to fit the new pins. Check out this threadhttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=154111#forumpost154111 and also the instructions and illustrations on steering knuckle bushing installation starting on page 3 of the suspension section in the 51-4 service manual.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Suspension_XVI.pdf

Make sure there is not pronounced lip or burr from previous installations of the cover upsetting the opening. Normally the domed shape will fit and then the taps on the dome will tend to flatten and expand the diameter to tightly fit in the recess.

Posted on: 2020/9/20 16:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Quite a common reamer. Mine is a universal king pin bushing driver and reamer covering Chevrolet cars 1934-1954, Chevrolet 1/2 ton trucks 1941-1959, 3/4 and 1-ton Chevrolet and GMC trucks 1941-1942, Chevrolet Corvette thru 1962, and Packard 1947-1956. As I recall, it's 0.868".

Mine is pictured in the thread that HH56 has referenced above. Due perhaps in part to Corvette's use of kingpins into the 1960's, they are not hard to find.

Posted on: 2020/9/20 16:59
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I found a 0.868" reamer on eBay - it's on its way.

James

Posted on: 2020/9/20 17:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
1947-55 1st Chevy 1/2ton trucks had what they called floating bushings, so there was no need to ream them.

Posted on: 2020/9/20 21:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks, ptv, for the added information. I was only relaying some of the application information from the tool label.

Posted on: 2020/9/20 21:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved