Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 "120" Flywheel Bolts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
I had my 1937 "120" engine rebuilt locally several years ago. I had a new ring gear installed on the flywheel and had it resurfaced, I've just realized that the shop never returned the bolting from the flywheel to the crankshaft and the shop is now out of business. I was able to purchase the correct 7/16 x 20 bolts from "Merritt" but since I didn't take this apart I was wondering if lock washers are needed on these bolts? My master parts list doesn't list any lock washers, the part number for the bolts is 300162. Just trying to avoid a future major problem. Thanks

Posted on: 2020/9/22 20:44
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 "120" Flywheel Bolts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
locktite
And surely Ken will confirm when he pulls his engine this weekend...

Posted on: 2020/9/22 20:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I'll confirm next weekend when mine is out, assuming the hacks that worked on the car previously didn't mess something up! (Whoever worked on my car in the past replaced many of the original bolts with whatever happened to be at hand that fit in the hole. Kind of frustrating, and I find more problems the more I look)

If I remember correctly, there are six bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank, and a locking tab for each set of two bolts. I seem to remember they were a royal pain to bend once the flywheel was installed!

Edit: the parts book confirms, three lock plates, PN 300163.

Posted on: 2020/9/22 21:18
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Thanks for the info.
Dave

Posted on: 2020/10/5 18:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved