Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1947 Horn Ring Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Howard, I found a cross section drawing to add to our collection of drawings. This is from Vol. 17 No. 13, July 1, 1943.
Wes

Attach file:

png  (850.81 KB)
1003_5f7db65a29f22.png 1213X727 px

Posted on: 2020/10/7 7:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wes, that is a great drawing and would be a good accompaniment to your exploded view. If there is a good description along with the illustration making note that they changed parts slightly so the screws holding the ring are in a reversed orientation and are fastening the ring to the wheel from the front side on the 48-54 models it would also be applicable to those questions.

It is interesting how the service article suggested the vibration buzz be corrected by adding a shim to the support spring. Since they did not specify a particular shim material and if the difficulty some have figuring out how the horn ring works is any indication, I wonder how many mechanics made a shim of gasket paper or some other non insulating material disrupting the ground and then had to figure out why the horn wouldn't work or became intermittent.

Posted on: 2020/10/7 8:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
For such a simple switch and so much goes into it.
I used your colors and made a color version. It makes it much easier to see how it works. "A" is where it touches to complete the circuit, also while doing this I just notice a quick check to see if the Horn Assy. is working. Just ground the blue screws at the back of the steering wheel. Easy test and you wouldn't have to take the steeling wheel apart. Touch the screw no horn sound, then the problem is from there back. But if the horn does sound then the problem is in the switch assy.
Wes

Attach file:

png  (688.37 KB)
1003_5f7dd60b45990.png 1213X727 px

Posted on: 2020/10/7 9:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I reread the article and I see what your saying since the spring is apart of the circuit, shimming it with a nonconductive material would have them scratching their heads as to why all of a sudden the horn stopped working. Plus it must had been some pretty bumpy roads, reminds me of our old gravel roads. Sometimes the blade wasn't set right and it would hop causing a bunch little ridges in the road and with any speed it would give you a good shaking.
Oh the good old days!
Wes

Posted on: 2020/10/7 10:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The good old days indeed. I have long said mechanics (and drivers) must have been made of sterner stuff back then. I cannot imagine the constant drudgery of going thru some of the routine maintenance that was required on the prewar cars. Apparently some in the earlier times could not either if the poor conditions some cars go into is any indication.

As to your colored cutaway side view drawing, that is a great job and far better than I could do with my software. Have taken your latest work and incorporated it with your earlier exploded drawing.

Attach file:

jpg  (233.18 KB)
209_5f7de4a2600fe.jpg 1250X1260 px

Posted on: 2020/10/7 10:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
You guys are impressive.
I marvel at these helpful threads.

Thank you.

FYI
The 55-56 had issues too

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL29NO8.pdf

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO4.pdf

Posted on: 2020/10/7 11:31
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved