Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Which head gasket to use 37 115
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
Hello,

I am replacing my head gasket and have two gaskets to choose from I have a copper and steel gasket with a metal inside core which is from Best vs a copper and steel gasket with the fiber matrix core. Is one better than the other from anyone's experieces?

Also I have heard to be careful machining the head excessively so that the valves don't hit the top of the combustion chamber of the head. Does anyone have a measurement for amount of material to leave as a minimum clearance for the this area? That is if the head needs to be resurfaced some to remove any imperfections.

Also is any copper head gasket sealing spray better than others in preparing the gasket before install?

Thanks

James

Posted on: 2020/10/8 9:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Which head gasket to use 37 115
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
JUST ME but i use
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php
get it a t NAPA

Cant remember how i got using it. Works for me.

Have used Copper Coat and it does the job but ive always had trouble with it bleeding. Maybe i used to much.

Posted on: 2020/10/8 11:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
Hi

Thanks for the response, but your link goes to a tile website, go you have another link or name of product

Thanks

James

Posted on: 2020/10/8 20:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I don't have experience with the fiber type, but I've always been a fan of the all metal gaskets.

As far as install, I use the permatex copper spray. Heavy coat on each side, then torque the head down. I've had a little bit leak out each time, but it wipes up easily.

Posted on: 2020/10/9 12:14
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Agree to use a copper or alum clad gasket. Saw one of those Composite HG burn thru 2 cyl.

Posted on: 2020/10/9 15:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved