Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: 1954 Pacific disc brake conversion kit / the residual pressure valve must be removed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some GM cars (Cad, Chevy, Buick maybe) and I believe some Mercedes models did use the Bendix Treadlevac (BTV for short). The other mfgs did for the most part mount theirs differently than Packard so as to have a better pedal ratio. Eventually GM licensed rights to more or less copy the BTV and produced their version as a Moraine unit. The two operate similarly but as I understand it the Moraine version had some issues, one big one being that if a seal failed, the way ports and seals were positioned vacuum could easily suck all the fluid out of the master rather quickly.

From reports of small amounts of fluid found in the vacuum side of the Packard version, their BTVs apparently had that issue to some extent but not like the Moraine. Many of the Packard issues can be traced to a gasket and the flat reservoir cover Packard used which was OK on the first version BTVs but the same cover carried over to the later versions and blocked off a relief port on those. That blocked port caused any hydraulic seal leak to force fluid into the vacuum side or a vacuum seal leak to pull fluid rather than have an open path into the reservoir area so it could move fluid back or pull air instead of fluid. That has been noted and corrected on rebuilt units by most of our Packard vendors but unknown how widespread it might be in other rebuilds.

I do not know which GM models used Bendix and which Moraine but the unit you picture is a bit different from what Packard used. I can't say if it is the BTV or the Moraine. The vacuum input is different as is the reservoir cover and vent and there appears to be a bleed screw on the master that is not present on the BTV. If it is a BTV that one might work although there would be two check valves in the vacuum line which could cause a conflict. You might compare price with Max or Kanter for an authentic Packard rebuilt or ensure what you get from somewhere else is at least a second version poppet valve type Bendix unit as Packard used from 53-6.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 11:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 executive disc brake conversion kits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The units differ quite a bit between makes so best to stick with the one made for your car. I am personally not keen on disk brake conversions as the drum brakes were well-engineered and work well when kept in good condition. It seems a big risk adding disks to the existing master which was never designed for it.

That said, the valve in question is easy to remove and simply lifts out after you remove the brass fitting at the front of the master cylinder along with the insert behind it. You should be able to do it in the car without removing the unit.

Also, I bought one of the reproduction castings that you showed but it is missing a hole that will have to be added for proper operation.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 11:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless you're planning on a routine of very agressive rallye-type driving, the original drum brakes, properly maintained, are quite adequate for normal driving circumstances.

Posted on: 2020/8/26 13:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 pacific disc brake conversion kit / residual pressure valve removal / pedal ratio
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you for responses Howard, Owen and Don. Pedal ratio and swing mount pedals will probably be another issue with this. Stay tuned.

TC

Posted on: 2020/8/26 14:34
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Pacific disc brake conversion kit / the residual pressure valve must be removed
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Hi Howard. Just following up on this from August. Regarding the yellow arrow, is this the residual pressure check valve? Regards, TC

Attach file:

jpg  (67.39 KB)
201206_5f8f1de0e5744.jpg 665X658 px

jpg  (40.43 KB)
201206_5f8f1e118f147.jpg 562X580 px

Posted on: 2020/10/20 12:27
 Top  Print 

1954 Packard Pacific 359 L8 radiator / blueprint
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Good morning Howard, do you by chance have a diagram or dimensions/blueprint/specs of a 359 L8 radiator? I would like to be able to submit to a custom fabricator to be able to drop in a new modern max cooling radiator. Regards, tc

Posted on: 2020/11/8 11:14
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific 359 L8 radiator / blueprint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do not have any plans or drawings for the radiators but there is a possibility the blueprints might be available from the Packard Motor Car Foundation. I believe Bruce Blevins is still the person in charge of caring for them but if not, someone will surely know who is current and how to reach them. You would need to supply the part number for the radiator you are looking for and have him see if it is one of those available for copy and sale.

The only other info I can provide is Packard specs in the April, 1954 Vol 28 #4 Service Counselor has the flow rate for the senior 359 radiator at 31.25 GPM.

Posted on: 2020/11/8 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For blueprints, try Andrew Beckman who is the archivist at the Studebaker Museum. So far they've had most anything I have needed.

Posted on: 2020/11/8 15:12
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard Pacific 359 L8 radiator / blueprint
Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
I'm on it. Thank you as always!

Regards,

TC

Posted on: 2020/11/9 7:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
Thank you Don !

Regards,

TC

Posted on: 2020/11/9 7:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved