Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I got the speedometer out, I don't think I'll be able to put it back in like it came out. Now need to fine someone to send it to to get it overhauled and get it back in a timely manner.
Also posting some photos of the speedometer. Four indications Left, Right, High Beam and Overdrive.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (113.75 KB)
1003_5fa49443d3bfe.jpg 1920X933 px

jpg  (163.92 KB)
1003_5fa49466dcf94.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2020/11/5 19:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 Speedometer
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Happy to take a look at it.
Pat
Bill's Speedometer Shop

Posted on: 2020/11/6 6:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
By the way, early fall and late spring are the busiest times for my speedometer repairs. Turn around time depends on how many jobs are coming in and the degree of service needed. I try to get the easy jobs turned around and back out as quickly as quality allows.

Fall are the early birds who are just taking their cars off the road and doing repairs. Late spring seems to be the time lots of people remember that they need to get their speedo serviced.

Pat

Posted on: 2020/11/9 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Wes, may i refer you and Pat, as well as any other Packardites in need, to Chris Bock: cmbock@sbcglobal.net, (530) 400-0590. Chris is a good man, bought most of my remaining parts a couple years ago, i winding up with an enormous cache of '40s Clipper items. Chris has been involved with Packards since the very early '70s, owned a '47 senior Clipper back in the late '60s. Tell him Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Lafayette/Walnut Creek referred you.
Though Chris has long been Pebble Beach's chief judge, he views this as a hobby, bless 'im, and prices parts accordingly. Speedometer parts were among what he received.

Posted on: 2020/11/9 17:24
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear all, this conversation is a bit older, but please allow me a question. How do I get the speedometer removed? To the back of the dash? Or to the front towards the steering wheel? Is it just the 3 screws I can see from the back but almost can't reach that hold the speedometer in place? Thanks in advance for your answer. Or is there a manual specifically on this subject? I have not found anything here yet.

best regards Josef

Posted on: 2021/11/29 14:06
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It comes out from the back of the dash and it is held by the screws you can see but barely reach.

If your car has the trip odometer reset knob, that needs to be removed from the hole in the dash edge first. The knurled knob is held to the shaft by a setscrew and once the knob is off remove the decorative nut holding the assy in the dash hole and push the assy up and out of the hole. Disconnect the speedo cable and remove the 5 light bulbs from the back of the speedo keeping track of which bulb goes in which hole. The sockets may be snug in their holes so take care and ease them out so the sockets don't suddenly twist and bulb edge accidentally hits a hole edge and breaks the glass. A small thin blade screwdriver may help ease the sockets out. After that, remove the 3 screws that are holding the speedo assembly to the dash and the entire unit should be free to be twisted thru the cluster wiring and out. Once the assy is out the speedo mechanism can be removed from the sheet metal case.

Note that one mounting screw is shared with the instrument gauge cluster and there should be some spacers and some small strips of noise or vibration cancelling fabric webbing under the other attaching legs. Those pieces are also held in place by the mounting screws. The spacers may be different thickness and will probably try to fall out so keep track of where they are and in what order things might be stacked so you can get everything back in the same locations.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0847.jpeg (96.41 KB)
209_61a540f95fcde.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/11/29 16:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Thanks Howard, the photo along with the description was exactly what I was looking for. That helps me for sure. thank you very much , greetings Josef

Posted on: 2021/11/30 4:21
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved