Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

markbw, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Packard door hinge
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I have a 1950 convertible. I have a drivers door that has some up and down movement. So I am assuming that the hinges have to much wear. Will any 1950 drivers door hinges work on this car? Or do I have to find the exact match?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2020/11/6 12:34
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard door hinge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the parts book Group 30.310, all 22-23 series used the same front hinges but there was a production change. After the 22nd series was introduced they found the doors on convertibles (and maybe the two door clubs) were so heavy the doors tended to slip or drop. The reason for the slipping was determined to be the hinge bolts were somewhat small so they made new hinges that went from 5/16 bolts to 3/8. Those earlier cars had a field mod to install hinges with larger screws and even tack weld the hinges to the door metal.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL22NO7.pdf

Along with that change other suggested mods in the door to reinforce the hinge mount area was made and in later cars stronger plates for the larger screws were made available. No idea exactly when that happened and is only mentioned to suggest you might want to concentrate your search for replacement hinges on the later production cars. As long as the locator bolt or dowel pin was installed inside the door loose bolts are not likely the issue but if the locator pin broke or fell out you might also investigate the possibility of the internal hinge bolts being loose rather than the problem be due to worn hinges.

If it is worn hinges replacement pins were available so perhaps the hinge leaves themselves are not too worn and only a pin replacement is something that could be investigated.

Posted on: 2020/11/6 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Thank you Howard

Posted on: 2020/11/6 18:54
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Just a thought from my experience...I have a 53 Clipper. I had up and down moment in the door. I ordered replacement hinges. Turned out to be loose hinge bolts. You probably already checked??

Posted on: 2020/11/7 9:10
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I guess need to determine if the movement is a problem.
Does the door hit the striker when you close it or not? (ie, can it be adjusted out) Or only moves when you push down on it when open but goes back on it's own?
Conv/2drs are heavier and need more A pillar support.
Assuming it's not collison damage, rot, or loose fasteners, then probably worn pins, but what's the mileage, history -how stored, etc.? ie, does it match the overall condition. Usually driver's door gets more wear.
Pins/hinges can be removed and inspected/replaced. Just make sure you have some help with the door. Difficult to re-align without tools or extra man.
If it's a design issue as HH reports,(not loose, properly adjusted,not worn) then need to get the right/later fix. I would not weld the hinge on, but put a stiffener in behind.
Maybe one to take to the bodyman/shop depending on your capabilities.

Posted on: 2020/11/7 9:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved