Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Ultramatic
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris E
See User information
The gaskets being the same, has anyone tried using a '55 ultramatic pan and dip stick tube on a '51? The under floor dipstick on the '51 is a pain.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.06 KB)
222597_5faca57c59515.jpg 200X150 px

Posted on: 2020/11/11 22:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As far as I know the castings are quite different so you couldn't simply add a V8 dipstick to a 1951-'54 Ultramatic and I doubt you could use the V8 transmission itself either as they probably have entirely different bolt patterns. Possibly you could install a late 1954 Gearstart Ultramatic but it would mean also replacing the complete steering column and all linkages including the throttle rod to the transmission.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 2:35
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris E
See User information
Thanks: Sounds like it's not worth the effort. Maybe cutting a small access hole in the floor with cover and putting a little flap in the carpet would be an option.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 5:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The V8 pan will bolt on but the dipstick does not come up at a usable place. Could possibly bend your own tube.

You will have to cut a floor brace to make access for your existing dipstick.

I find it easier to to do a good reseal job on the trans and then only check it every 5 years or so unless there is the sudden appearance of a puddle.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 8:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I still think it would be possible to add an aftermarket flexible dipstick using the original cap and tube setup. Lokarhttps://www.lokar.com/trans-dipsticks.html and some of the other mfgs have flexible dipstick kits both in chrome or black which have either push in or threaded ends for the trans. I believe Lokars threaded type is their Anchor-Tight model. An extra Packard cap with dipstick should be readily available at any number of places so the original cap could be kept for reference while calibrating the new assy or future use if someone wanted the original setup back.

Once the extra cap is found remove the dipstick from that cap and drill a hole sized for the new tube assy. Depending on the type of dipstick tube either use the nut assy on the end to fasten the new dipstick to the old cap or get one of the premade adapters for the push in type assys. It should be a simple matter to use the original dipstick to calibrate new lines on the aftermarket unit. I believe there are also individual length tube assys and individual optional length dipsticks so a combination of parts might be needed if the extending length of the new dipstick is not long enough to match the old markings.

If the old cork gasket on the cap is suspect or might leak remove and replace it with a thicker O ring to make a good seal at the upper end of the short tube and also add extra friction to keep the cap tightly locked on. The handle end could be brought up using minimal bends and anchored to the firewall in a location similar to the Gear Start dipstick.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.20 KB)
209_5fad53bb2e07e.jpg 1164X910 px

Posted on: 2020/11/12 10:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I have been thinking about this for a while for my 1953, to the point that I have acquired an extra NOS cap for the purposes of modification. It's simply a matter of paranoia - I don't drive it THAT often, but I want to be able to quickly ascertain, both before and after the drive, how it is doing. Piece of mind.

I have found that I can top off my unit from the engine compartment using a piece of flexible hose about 36" long not including the funnel. I haven't yet figured out exactly how it should be mounted to the firewall or the engine or?. See the attached photo.

To make a dipstick work, the "dipstick portion" should protrude past where it screws onto the modified cap about 4.5", See the attached photo.

For my '53, I spent some time on the phone talking with Lokar technical support, thinking one of their locking dipsticks might be perfect. However, the Lokar rep was not enthusiastic, for mainly one reason: their locking dipsticks are not designed to protrude past the screw-in section anywhere near 4.5" long.

I don't think any of those considerations are really a big deal if one moves to the non-locking version. From what I can tell, Lokar is using standard hydraulic hose and fittings for their center sections (available in numerous lengths including 36" and 48"), and for their standard, non-locking dipsticks, they sell optional decorative knobs, which implies that the knob can be replaced. In addition, the Ford C4 "pan" style dipstick already screws in, and has a nice curve in it, which would probably work nice for where the existing dipstick location is on the 1953 (see attached photo), but as I do not know the exact radius required it would need some additional measurements.

In addition, the Lokar stuff all uses from what I can tell standard reusable hydraulic hose fittings, which means that the hose can be taken off and shortened, or a longer hose substituted. For the standard non-locking dipsticks, Lokar sells "deluxe" handles, which means you can take the stock handle off and change the length of the dipstick to get the correct position within the car.

So what this says to me is that one could order a 48" long Lokar C4 pan, create a fitting to attach it to the top of the donated cap, and then shorten the dipstick and hose to an appropriate length.

Have I done it yet? No, I have not. Waiting to get engine back in car first, and still thinking whether Lokar or another vendor, or whether the idea really has merit. Lokar does have a pretty responsive technical support line at tech@lokar.com, maybe they would respond positively to someone else.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.36 KB)
148538_5faded9c76e36.jpg 600X587 px

jpg  (142.08 KB)
148538_5fadedac249a7.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (147.62 KB)
148538_5fadedc0c07e4.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (162.62 KB)
148538_5fadedd17fe87.jpg 1600X1143 px

Posted on: 2020/11/12 21:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chris E,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '51 Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 21:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not to put too fine a point on it but if it leaks so much that it must be checked constantly, then it is ready to be rebuilt. If no leaks or only an occasional drip, then no need to worry and check it so often! It really seems extreme to go through all this work when just looking on the ground for a puddle of oil will tell you that something is seriously wrong.

Incidentally, you posted this in the 1955-1956 section.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 22:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The setup with the bent tube would be a good way to avoid any false reading by turbulence or sloshing of fluid in the pan. It looks like it needs some kind of fitting to go along with it though.

Along those lines, if Lokar has a straight tube adapter or if something could be fabricated about the length of the original dipstick and soldered or suitably mounted on the extra cap, one of the push in flex tubes could be used which had a dipstick with a long enough extension that it would be able to measure the level.

It seems like something like that would be similar enough to their curved tube and might satisfy Lokar as to the exposed length of dipstick and also avoid any false reading if there was a lot of turbulence with the fluid. By putting it in the extra cap rather than modifying a pan the car could be returned to stock much easier.

Posted on: 2020/11/12 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved