Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1936 120 engine pan removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
I have been informed I can remove the engine pan while the engine is in the car. Is this correct?
When I am under the car it does not look possible with all the front suspension stuff just an inch or so below the front of the pan. What do I need to do to remove the pan? What position does the crankshaft need to be turned to accomplish this?
The front fenders, radiator and head are off the car, as I intend to paint the car. I did a compression check and cylinders 1 and 3 were at 70 pounds. The others were all 90 to 100 pounds. Oil in 1 and 3 made 1 come up to 100 pounds, but 3 did not change, so I assume I have bad rings on 1 and a valve problem on 3.
Thank you in advance for any advice and help I get.

Posted on: 2020/11/16 12:03
1936 Packard 120 convertible sedan
1916 Ford Model T Coupelet
1962 Thunderbird
2000 Corvette convertible
 Top  Print 

Re: 1936 120 engine pan removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
You can remove the pan. It's a bit of a pain, but possible.

First thing - if your front motor mount is saggy, you will need to lift up the front of the engine.

The front most counterweight needs to be horizontal.

I took mine off (1937 120) by removing all the bolts, then letting it drop where I could see the crank, then turning it until that forward counterweight was clear.

Bit of a pain, but doable.

One other thing - while you've got the car apart, I highly recommend checking out the bearings on your center steering link. They are bicycle style bearings, and tend to be completely shot. See my blog for details on how to do it.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Posted on: 2020/11/16 14:44
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
Ken, thank you for the very quick and informative reply. I am not a computer genius. How would I find your blog on the center steering link?
All of the front end suspension parts will only let the front of the pan drop about 1 inch. Will that leave enough room to do the pan removal?

Posted on: 2020/11/16 16:35
1962 Thunderbird
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
The pan only needs to drop a little in the front. It will drop more in the back, and once the counterweight on the crankshaft is rotated out of the way, it will slide out backwards, just clearing the clutch. Again - may need to lift the front of the engine if your front mount is sagging.

For my blog, there is a link in my signature to the blog, and here is a link to the exact post:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=176163#forumpost176163

Posted on: 2020/11/16 17:54
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi KMcoldcars,

Allow me to echo Ken's welcome to Packard Info. Ken's suggestion regarding the steering centre link is a very good one and the difference between achieving this with the fenders and rad out of the way vs. in place, is night and day. Kanter has the 2 pieces in stock and they are very reasonably priced. See the attached diagram for clarification. Good luck on your Packard. Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.27 KB)
121627_5fb319e29edd4.jpg 636X480 px

Posted on: 2020/11/16 19:32
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Hey Keith, welcome to Pinfo...thought you'd been here before? Anyway, yes, the center steering bearing job is one many owners avoid due to the PITA factor...yes, a modern sealed bearing is cheaply available, makes the job just that little bit less sour. I think the number is in Ken's blog, if not its in Henry Greene's or I have it somewhere.

DAF

Posted on: 2020/11/16 20:09
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

dick29
See User information
One more thing to help is to remove the light weight cross member under the bell housing, it's just four bolts and it gives you more wiggle room. I would also clean and check the oil pump pick up basket while the pan is down. the screens are often in poor codition. If you need one Max Merritt has exchanges.
Dick

Posted on: 2020/11/16 21:12
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

KMcoldcars
See User information
I would like to thank you all for the useful information. I was under the car today and could not get any movement at the bearing at the center steering link. Is it easy to move when bad?
Tomorrow I will go under the car and give the pan removal a shot. I have been dealing with cancer all year and sometimes I just cannot accomplish too much at one time.
For the last 35 years I did upholstery on collector cars and also painted some Packards for other people. I am now in the process of stripping my car, doing some minor body work, and will paint it and upholster it in black leather. I am having Trianon Green Metallic paint custom mixed. I think it is a lovely color. Right now most of the car is stripped and over half of the upholstery is done, ready to install after the paint is done.
My Packard before I took it apart.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.62 KB)
222759_5fb3313d21f4c.jpg 618X393 px

Posted on: 2020/11/16 21:13
1962 Thunderbird
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day KMcoldcars,
to PackardInfo.

I also invite you to include your '36 One Twenty Convertible Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/11/16 21:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

dick29 wrote:
One more thing to help is to remove the light weight cross member under the bell housing, it's just four bolts and it gives you more wiggle room.
Dick

Are you talking about the flywheel/ clutch cover?

On my 37, it has to come off because it sits over the oil pan. And it has 10 bolts.

Beautiful car!

Posted on: 2020/11/16 22:32

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved