Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Temp Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I need to send my temp gauge to Max Merritt for rebuild but have no idea how to remove the tube from the back of the gauge. I can remove the entire assembly, but Fred Bruner at Max Merritt said they just needed the gauge. They replace the bulb and tube along with rebuilding the gauge.
Does anyone have instructions on how to remove this tube from the temp gauge? If not, I'll just send Fred the entire assembly and have their tech worry about it.
Thanks, as always.

Posted on: 2020/11/28 18:45
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 Temp Gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bulb, tube and gauge is a single assembly with the tube being soldered to the bulb and gauge. The gauge is usually mounted on a backing or mounting plate which may also hold another gauge and that plate is what is screwed to the instrument cluster. There is typically a fairly large but thin nut and possibly a screw holding the gauge to the plate. By removing the nut and sliding it over the tube and off plus removing any other screws holding the gauge the long tube and bulb can be pulled thru the hole in the plate to free just the temp gauge from the backing plate. I would go with your second thought and send the gauge with tube and bulb still attached.

Posted on: 2020/11/28 19:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 Temp Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks and I shall definitely do that. As I said before, I'm afraid of damaging the gauge perenantly. I did see the screws on the back of the plate and was able to remove the gauge from the instrument cluster without hurting it.
Thanks for your input and yes, I'll go with your suggestion.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 12:19
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved