Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Re: Chuck's 48 Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Thanks! I'll try switching the battery around tomorrow. I just downloaded the wiring diagram for this car and it shows pos+ gnd. On that note, the heater fan did come on and changed speeds when moving the switch but didn't notice if air was blowing anywhere. The fuel gauge was below E but I know there's about 5 gallons, oil psi showed around 40. I didn't test anything else while it was running.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
After you turn the battery around you may need to polarize the generator to get it to charge properly.

Does the old lay a screwdriver across all 3 terminals with ignition on trick work on these? I wonder how long the car was used that way. It probably had something to do with the lower price to get rid of it. That would also explain the large peeled paint flap under the hood above the battery.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Howard-

Is your question if a 51-54 packard heater motor will run with a negative ground? I just checked and my heater motor (52 300) spins the same direction, with either a negative ground or a positive ground.

-Carl

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:11
-Carl | [url=http://packardinfo.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for looking and verifying there are still a few active cells. I had thought that there were no regular postwar polarity dependent motors and so advised someone the other day. Another poster said I was in error and that the heater motors were dependent. As mentioned, I just couldn't remember.

I do believe the pre war heaters were sensitive because it turned one direction for heater and the other for defroster but think the wiring was also multi lead to the switch.

EDIT: The polarizing just needs the BAT and GEN shorted-- no need for the field terminal.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I switched the battery around to the correct way and I'd say it's working. The guage was showing high charge and then down to middle of charge side. The second time I started it, I put a volt meter on the batt. and it was giving about 8 volts. That's it for this week, especially after 8 hours under the Buick.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 22:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds good and glad it was simple. When things get settled check the voltage again--8v sounds a bit high.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 22:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I figured that it was on high charge rate from running with no charge yesterday and from starting it. It should come down in a few minutes, I'd think, when charge is full. I only ran it a few minutes since there's no muffler and it's LOUD. I'll try the meter next time it's running.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 22:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
This week's episode is "fun with fuel pumps". Every car I've bought in the last 10 years has needed a fuel pump almost immediately and this one's no exception. I removed the offending pump today to read the numbers off of it to either repair or replace it. Unfortunately, it's an aftermarket pump with no numbers. I know a guy in Old Forge who's checking through his stash of old parts to match it up if he can.
On a lighter note, I've discovered that the points and condenser from a 59 Edsel 6cyl engine are exact replacements for the ones in my Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.35 KB)
1470_4a00b3b676bca.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yep, new gas doesn't take long to mess up old rubber & pumps. If you have no luck with your guy, Then & Now might be able to help with the pump.
http://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

Good to know about the points. How about putting the numbers and info in the parts x-ref for the next time.

Posted on: 2009/5/5 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

Good to know about the points. How about putting the numbers and info in the parts x-ref for the next time.

Thanks. I've saved the link for future use. I believe the mystery pump is a Blackstone replacement. The guy I know in Old Forge has thousands of NOS and replacement mechanical and electrical parts for cars from 20's up to the 70's for most brands. If anyone wants his number I'll give it to them. Usually he's got good prices. I just bought a hub puller from him for $50. I see that item go close to $150 sometimes.

Attach file:

jpg  (172.75 KB)
1470_4a00c141c8254.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/5/5 17:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved