Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Aircraft Models
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I am trying to assemble a model collection of WW-II aircraft that were specific to the Packard-built Rolls Royce Merlin V-1650 engine. I know that the Packard Merlins were used extensively by the USAAF and RAF as powerplants, new and replacement. For example, a Lancaster could be powered by Merlins from three manufactures - Rolls Royce, Packard, and English Ford.

There were just a few aircraft that were designated because they were fitted with the Packard-built engines. These are:

Canadian-built Hawker Hurricane Mk. X/XII/XIIA,

Canadian-built de Havilland Mosquito B Mk. VII/25/26,

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk. XVI,

Avro Lancaster I/III,

Curtis Kittyhawk II,

Curtis P-40F Warhawk, and

North American P-51B and all subsequent varants.

I have located three of the above: a P-40F, a P-51B, and a Lancaster III is on preorder. A Kittyhawk II would be nice too, but the P-40F will do. I prefer smaller scale built 1/48th or 1/72nd and in die cast. Also, would like to keep the cost per model to around $50USD, but would pay more if it is the only one available.

I have searched all of the model sites I can find and have been unable to find a Hurricane, Mosquito, and Spitfire of the correct variant. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 17:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Aircraft Models
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bump.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 10:10
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
have you tried the japaneese kits? i know that several kit makers from the land of the rising sun offer some very nice aircraft kits.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 19:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, I have looked at the Japanese offerings. Great stuff, but I am not interested in a kit right now. I would like to find something already built, especially in die cast and in 1/48th or 1/72nd scale. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 21:15
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
and you tried e-bay already,correct?

Posted on: 2009/5/22 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You might try some of the air museums that have WW II aircraft. The RAF museum lists some of the more common models on their website. You would probably need to visit in person or send an inquiry by email to find the more obscure ones however.

Posted on: 2009/5/22 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
greendragon and BdeB, thanks for the suggestions. The e-bay is hiding in plain sight so I didn't think of it. I have a friend at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, OR looking in to this too. I will try the RAF Museum. Most models commemorate a pilot or a battle, and it will be difficult to locate a specific type without this provenance. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/5/23 11:02
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
true, however if you go for a large battle then it may not be so hard. even though it was streched out over some time, typing " battle of britan" may get you what your after. there were many different planes involved, and since there was a movie made about it, that just might do the trick!

Posted on: 2009/5/23 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
greendragon, right on, but the types I am particularly interested in were not made until after the Battle of Britain. I will probably go for the ones that are most interesting to me, powered by RR Merlins, but not specifically the types that were designated to be powered by the Packard-built V-1650. Sometimes I don't quite know why I start a search that will in most likelihood be unsuccessful.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 12:12
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Watched "The Dam Busters" on TCM last night. It was great to see all of those Lancaster bombers on the tarmac and flying. I think I'll get a model of one commemorating the mission on the dams, Guy Gibson, and Squadron 617. It is a great old British war movie made in 1955 and staring Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved