Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 panama with od
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If it's an original Packard manual trans with overdrive it's a Borg Warner T85 with an R11 o/d unit.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 1:31
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the clarification as to the transmission model and od model. Now I have to find out who makes a floor shift adapter. Any ideas? Never throw old Parts away. As I mentioned, I have had several 55s with od. Two were converted to floor shifters: a 55clipper custom and a 55 Caribbean. The Caribbean now has Ultramatic and the Custom od is now in my Panama. All the parts for the conversion back to column shift were still on the Custom, so I thought.
I tossed the floor shifter. Big Mistake.

One part is missing and I fear it is the key to my lock-ups.
There is a picture of it in the Service Manual. Transmission and Overdrive section, Page 13, Figure 37. The long rod with the bend in it. There is no picture of it in the parts cataloge, but the part number seems to be 465373 and it is called ist/reverse rod . I am looking for one to purchase or one to borrow as a sample to have it made. Does anyone have a clue where I might I may beg, borrow, or steal one? I have tried all the normal channels, Kanter, merritt, chirco etc.

I would also like to purchase a shaft assembly Pt#458530 or ask if anyone would know who would be able to make one. This is the shaft in the steering column that moves the shift levers in a standard transmission car.

The transmission worked fine in the donor car with the floor shifter. I had the trans checked out before installing it in my Panama. No problems.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 13:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Just about the only way to get parts for manual transmission Packards is to buy a parts car with all the stuff in it.

That being said, Ford used the same identical trans in those years, and since they're so much more plentiful I'm thinking that MAYBE their linkage would work for what you need.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 13:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
(snip)I tossed the floor shifter. Big Mistake.
(snip)

<p>Some 56J guys report that a Hurst shifter works for them. Try calling Hurst or whoever owns them now. That was a very common tranny and it cannot be too hard to find something that will work.</p>
<p>Plus you have somebody like Lokar and other hot rod parts providers.</p><p>
Craig
</P>

Posted on: 2009/7/3 13:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
55panama wrote:.....As I mentioned, I have had several 55s with od. Two were converted to floor shifters: a 55clipper custom and a 55 Caribbean. The Caribbean now has Ultramatic and the Custom od is now in my Panama.......

G'day 55panama,
to PackardInfo. I see you have a number of Packards, could you please include them in the Owner Registry together with pic's, any known history and how you acquired them?

Posted on: 2009/7/3 17:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Hi Mr. Ozstatmen,
I will be happy to send pictures of my two 55s. A Panama and a Caribbean. I have had about 30 55 and 56 Packards since 1960. I got hooked on them while I was in the Army.
It was the only car I could afford on e-1 pay when I got out of basic training. 55 Panama. The Panama I have now is was my favorite until this rotten shifter problem. I'm getting to old for this. Maybe time to find something more relaxing like tropical fish. The picture will have to wait until I can get the car out of the garage. It's locked in first.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 18:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
55panama wrote: Hi Mr. Ozstatmen, I will be happy to send pictures of my two 55s. A Panama and a Caribbean. I have had about 30 55 and 56 Packards since 1960.......

and call me Mal, still not used to "Mr" even after many years. And don't send pic's, post them here in the Photo Archive as well as in your Owner Registry entries so all can enjoy. Quite an achievement in having owned that many Packards.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 19:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Hi Mal,
Not an achievement, more like insanity.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 20:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
After the merger of Stude and Packard there was not too much sharing of technology at first tho much more was planned. But Stude got to use the 56 Clipper engine, and Packard latched onto Studebaker's steering column as it was more modern looking than the 48-54 version. Most of the pieces are identical or darn close to pieces from a Stude column 53-60. These work quite well and I have many hundred-thousand miles behind such columns in the Studes. After all, this is not a GM product we are talking about.

A bit of looking in a Stude parts book and a call to SASCO might bring you joy--they might even have the original part by Packard number.

As to being stuck in first: bring the tranny to neutral by pulling up on the upper lever at the base of the steering column (as countless thousands of 39-54 Handishift owners have also done). There is an excellent chance that you must adjust your 1-R shift rod a little shorter so that the tranny comes all the way out of 1 before the column shifter crosses over to operate the 2-3 lever. When you operate the shifter in the car, you should just feel the tranny come clear of first gear before the shift lever is even able to drop back to the 2-3 plane. In neutral the lever should move between the 1-R and 2-3 planes without binding.

Posted on: 2009/7/3 21:58
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Hi Ross,
Thsnks for the hints. I climbed underneath the car today and freed up and readjusted the linkage as you discribed. Took it for a short drive with no problem. I still don't trust it. The first/reverse linkage rod is not correct. I made it myself as I cannot find the real part anywhere. I will try the Studebaker sources you mentioned. I had to guess the bend angle in it and mad it out of a threaded rod.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 14:35
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved