Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission Fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Hey what kind of fluid is good for my 55 pat. I am ready to put the pan back on and couldnt find anything on the forum..could be a brain fart.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 12:00
 Top  Print 

Re: Transmission Fluid
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think many have recommend Type-F.

We really need to put together a Recommended Modern fluid FAQ which list a couple of options for Tranny and Engine oils as well as gear, diff, steering box and other fluids. I know there will always be a few that recommend something different, but I think a general set of recommendation would do well to help folks out. Kind of a FAQ that list perhaps 2 or 3 different recommended engine oils and when to use each one. Non-rebuilt original motor use this one, fresh rebuild use this one, etc. Just brain storming here.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 12:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I think you could go nutz trying to cover all fluids for all Series/Models in one FAQ post.

Let me try something just for Ultramatic fluid:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3267&forum=14

...and I'll refine it when I have time to do a little more research.

I hope others will step up to the plate for other specific fluids and applications.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
B&M Trick Shift is the only fluid I'd recommend using in an Ultramatic, after having tried them all with less than satisfactory results. The Trick Shift really helped out the shifting quality too, they shift a lot firmer than they do with other kinds of fluids. It doesn't matter if it's rebuilt or not, that's the only fluid I'd recommend using in an Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've read that B&M Trick Shift is nothing more than Type F with dye and a friction-modifying additive.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've read that too, but it works and I stand by it.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
And I stand by Eric's standing by it. Not only did it cure the slipping direct-drive clutch in my Twin-Ultramatic but, as a last resort before the transmission shop, I drained the fluid (which had been replaced yearly) in a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis and replaced it with B&M Trick Shift. Lo and behold, the torque converter - which wouldn't stay locked into overdrive (at 73,000 miles) - fixed itself and STAYED fixed. It MAY only be Type F with friction modifiers - BUT IT WORKS.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
B&M Trick Shift is now duly noted in the FAQ for Ultramatic fluid.

Later, I will add links to that same FAQ post, pointing the reader to relevant past discussions on this site to help them make up their own mind.

Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Reattached the sheet metal stop as suggested and everything is back together. Reverse is working and she shifted fine in high range but was cranky in low range drive. Drove nicely back up to the paint shop where she exhibited her evil side Wednesday. Front fenders and hood now touched up where they left a few spots the first time around.

Posted on: 2009/8/6 20:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Reverse is great but she is shifting hard again and thought that I would drain the fluid one more time. After draining overnight was only able to drain out about 6 quarts. How do you drain the entire 11 quarts from the transmission?

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved