Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 limo
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike
See User information
I have a 1941 Packard 7 Pass sedan Limo that has a # on the firewall 589277 On the Tag on the firewall 1451 2124 Reid Motor co K C MO 4-10-41 ,at the very bottom of block on driver's side 3 12 41
There is no # on the block for the VIN , but the VIN # I was given is 503885, I don't have a title yet, as far as I can tell there never was one issued.
Can any one help me to tell if this is the correct Vin # for this car? Any Info will be helpful, I am new to Packards and have much to learn
Thanks Mike

Posted on: 2007/12/19 12:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 limo
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These cars did not have VIN numbers as we know them today.

The number of the firewall that is stamped with the delivering dealer would be the closest thing "1451 2124", as this was the cars serial number. On later years this was moved to the drivers side door jam.

While some states used that number others used the engine serial number, and still other states used the Theft Proof number which is the large raised number stamped onto the right side of the firewall.

Posted on: 2007/12/19 13:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
To add a bit more to what Kev mentioned. The car is indeed a model 1908 Super Eight 180 Custom, body style 1451, Sedan touring 7 passenger. The 2141 portion of the number is the sequential build number. The serial number of the engine 503885 is in the correct range for a 1941 Super Eight 356 engine which is also correct engine for the car.There should be a prefix "CD" before the number which should be found on the lower left corner of the engine block (passenger side). The engine build date correctly predates the delivery date so is likely the original engine. There were 4455 Super Eights built in 1941 and 930 designated as 180's. A lovely rare car! I just love those '41 180's especially the 7 passenger models. Why not join us and post a photo in the Registry?

Posted on: 2007/12/19 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Mike,
I don't know if you and your 180 are still in Missouri but if so, you can use the 14512124 as the VIN number. Both my Packards are registered here in MO using the data plate number... no problem. Previous registrations (California for the '41 Limo and Illinois for the '50 Custom Sedan) also used the data plate number. Any other state you'll have to check with your department of motor vehicles. Welcome to the world of Packards.

Posted on: 2007/12/20 0:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Mike
A coincidence. I have a 1940 Packard 180 touring sedan that was also delivered through Reid in K.C.

Posted on: 2008/1/3 9:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The embossed number 589277 which you refer to was variously called the BDN (body dash number) or thief-proof number by Packard. It was a simple sequential numbering scheme beginning in or before the Sixth series, and continuing thru the end in 1956. About 1950 the numbers reached 999999 and then the first numeral was replaced with an "A" until A99999, then a "B", and so on. The last Packards were prefixed by a "D". The lowest thief-proof number I have noted for 1941 is 552,XXX, and the previous highest was 583,XXX so yours is now the highest # known to me for 1941. Some 1940 models do not have a BDN, the exact explanation is unknown by is perhaps related to the moving of body dies from East Grand to Briggs when Packard contracted out the body stamping. Any records Packard might have had correlating BDNs with chassis/body styles has not survived or yet been found, so generally the numbers are not useful in detecting body swaps, upgrades, bogus cars, etc.

Posted on: 2008/1/3 10:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved