Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Instrument panel removal on '41 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Mal, I have a spare '41 instrument cluster that came with the Limo. If you think it would help, I can take some pictures of it for you. All I can see that would appear to be the attachment points are two tabs; one right and one left with two holes each.

Posted on: 2008/1/3 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

J.D. in KC wrote:
Mal, I have a spare '41 instrument cluster that came with the Limo. If you think it would help, I can take some pictures of it for you. All I can see that would appear to be the attachment points are two tabs; one right and one left with two holes each.

JD,

Any and all help is greatly appreciated so pictures of the back of the panel would certainly assist. I'm looking forward to seeing the source of much frustration.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 0:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Yes, I believe there are two screws that are sort of accessible behind the dashboard.
First, you will need to work on the flexibility in your neck.
Once you've loosened up a little bit, you'll need to lay down with your legs facing up, your head jammed as hard as it can go against the accelerator pedal (slightly turned and rammed up against the brake pedal) and with a small, but bright, flashlight in your mouth. It would be a good idea to have someone who knows tools standing by your side, and who doesn't mind fetching what you need, and whose ears don't mind a few coarse words. Also, those nuts are small, and seem to find a way of getting lost. Once you lose one (or two) you can steel one from the glove box side.
You'll need to do a lot of looking, while moving hard-to-move batches of wiring because those screws are back there somewhere. Once you have it out, you'll never, ever, not in this lifetime, want to do it again. You might want to replace the light bulbs while you're back there. Also, you may need to disconnect the trip re-set before you do anything, as well as the speedo cable. If you have an overdrive, you might need to remove the lever to give you a little room (if you want to call it that) to get your hands up there.

Rule number one: It's impossible to beat the flat rate time.
Rule number two: Accept rule number one and don't even try.
Rule number three: Take a brake if you start to get frustrated (like, overnight).
Rule number four: Start first thing in the morning (after breakfast). That way you're not already frustrated with something else that happened that day.

Other than that, it's kind of fun. Especially if you get it all back together and everything works. I found it important to have the old harness back there (even though it takes up a lot of non-existing room), disconnecting one wire at a time, and replacing one wire at a time.

Posted on: 2008/1/4 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here's 4 views of the instrument cluster. Held camera with one hand and a drop light with the other so it's not exactly Ansel Adams quality.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.50 KB)
188_477e6685f02da.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (30.28 KB)
188_477e66a10621e.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (24.37 KB)
188_477e66bf98fa7.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (20.90 KB)
188_477e66d61f2d3.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/1/4 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thanks to both West for his very detailed description of how to do it and to JD for posting the informative pic's.

I'm sure all this will come in handy on Monday when Wade and I tackle it again, this time come hell or high water. It must be done one way or another as I need to get the old harness out and off to the harness maker sooner rather than later.

I'll let everyone know via the Project Blog of how it progresses and the results.

Again

Posted on: 2008/1/4 22:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just one other you may want to try if you cant see what is going on up behind the dash, just hold a digital camera up back there and take a few pictures with the flash on. It may help you to see what is going on behind the scenes, and doesnt cost anything or takes much time,

I have done this a couple of time on things where I could get my arm in somewhere, but I couldnt see what was in there. I did this once inside the door of my old honda. I needed to replace a broken clip that connected the door lock to the handle. It was so dark and at such a wierd angle you couldnt see anything. A couple of snaps with the digital camera, and I could see where the problem was and how to get to it by feel.

I have a pretty small digital camera (size of a pack of smokes), so it gets into tight places. It also works best if your camera has a macro (up close) focus setting.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 2:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kev,

Sounds like a great tip. Only problem is I lost my camera a couple of weeks ago and haven't replaced it yet. But thanks.

Posted on: 2008/1/5 7:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Kev
That is a great idea. Do you mind if I include that in one of my upcoming issues of Antique Automobile?
Thanks.
West

Posted on: 2008/1/7 8:22
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not a problem West, feel free to pass it along.

Posted on: 2008/1/7 11:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved