Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic to electric power window conversion for 6V Pos grd. ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jmmfranklin
See User information
Anybody stumbled into Hydraulic to Electric power window conversion for 6V Pos grd. ?

Posted on: 2009/12/6 16:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Hydraulic to electric power window conversion for 6V Pos grd. ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
We have successfully changed from hydraulic to electric using 6v motors from mid-1950s Lincolns. However, since then (1980s) I believe there is a company that rebuilding or selling replacement hydraulic motors that actually are pretty good. I do not have, or have I heard from actual owners of these rebuilt/replacement motors to know if they are any good. If they are, it sure would save a lot of work.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 9:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Yes, I converted a 1941 Packard Formal to 6 volt Chrysler electrics.

You need a 110-120 sedan parts cars plus some ingenuity for the rear doors and especially the division.

They worked like a dream on the fronts.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 11:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tim
We had no parts car when we did ours. What was it that you salvaged that you needed for the conversion?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Has any one considered using a linear actuator to replace the hydraulic cylinder? That keeps all the original mechanicals the same.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev, what an outstanding idea.

This sitehttp://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php has a good assortment to choose from as well as wiring kits --just about anything needed. Just need to figure which one. Downside, of course, is all are 12v and some have fixed non adjustable limit switches. If the current draw of the one used is within the inverter capacity-- then maybe the inverters Turbopackman found from Newport Engineering could be used there -- although I think I'd still use one per window in case two windows operated at same time. O_D's mention of the motorcycle battery in the trunk would work too. Using a circuit and inverter to keep battery charged would probably be less chance of problems. Maybe even enclose a small battery and the other components etc where the pump is now.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Has any one considered using a linear actuator to replace the hydraulic cylinder? That keeps all the original mechanicals the same.

Well I hadn't. In fact I didn't even know these existed. This would certainly seem to be a viable solution if I find the defunct electro-hydraulic system on my Limo becomes too difficult or expensive to restore. Thanks for the suggestion! (I'm still going to try and keep it original but if all else fails, this looks very promising).

Posted on: 2009/12/8 0:10
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They use those types of actuators in robotics, and also to automate all those fancy things in custom cars. Self opening doors, car audio systems with moving panels, etc.

They are typically gear driven. Not to be confused with the solenoid actuator that is used in power door looks that simply pushes and pull in a single pulse based on the polarity. Or a "truck pop" solenoid that contracts when energized.

They make linear actuator that can lift 100s of lbs. But those are pretty pricey.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 0:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved